We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

6 hours in Nashville on a Sunday

Which Nashville hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
16 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
6 hours in Nashville on a Sunday

I will be in Nashville for less than a day. Will arrive there at noon and will be flying home at 6pm. There is enough time to cab it to a mall and then cab it back to the airport and have maybe 3 hours shopping. Where to go? I am looking for womans clothing, midrange to upscale stuff but on sale. I am not a fan of outlets, I prefer department stores like Macy's, the BonTon associated stores, Dillards, Lord &Taylors, Nordstroms, etc. I know there are three or four malls in the area, but I want them fairly close to the airport because I will have to cab it. It appears that the Kohls store almost directly north of the airport, and only a kilometer away, may have closed. So.. suggestions?

Nashville
Level Contributor
125 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 6 hours in Nashville on a Sunday

Is there time ? Yes, absolutely. If you're looking for slightly upscale stores (sounds like you are), then I'd recommend Green Hills Mall in Green Hills (maybe 10 - 15 miles southwest of the airport). Only downside is the cab fare might be a little steep. Other option and much closer to airport would be Opry Mills. It's a mall, but cleaner and more open than your usual "mall". Stores are nice, although no Lord&Taylor type - check their website to see if the retail/restaurant options meet your desire. And a warning: There is a Macy's in nearby Hickory Hollow Mall, but don't bite on the offer - that area area has gone downhill in a big way.

US
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
2,968 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 6 hours in Nashville on a Sunday

Given the types of shops you are looking for, The Mall at Green Hills is really your only option. We don't have L&T, Nordstrom's (although one is under construction at GH). The Macy's is a mid-market Macy's not high-end Macy's. There is a Dillard's. GH has many other stores to recommend it, though -- Kate Spade, Lucky Jeans, BCBG, Betsey Johnson, Tiffany, etc. Take a look at the web site. http://www.themallatgreenhills.com/

Opry Mills IS another option and is closer to the airport, but it's really an outlet mall, not a first-run mall.

Nashville, TN
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
2,703 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 6 hours in Nashville on a Sunday

Very close to the airport is the Opry Mills Mall. Very good Saks Off Fifth store, you can get some great deals here. The rest are the typical factory stores -- google it for a store list.

Green Hills Mall is the place with the type of stores you're looking for, about 20 minutes from the airport.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
16 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 6 hours in Nashville on a Sunday

Thanks. I figured Green Hills was the best choice. I know the cab could be expensive, but I checked out the transit system, and it seems to be one of those systems where most buses connect in a central location, so that is out. Now its a question of renting a car for a few hours versus taking a taxi to and from the mall. However, if my driver drops me off at Green Hills it would be fine. Oh, and I am good with maps, so the cabbie is not gonna rip me off.

US
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
2,968 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 6 hours in Nashville on a Sunday

Cabbies in Nashville generally aren't the rip-off type, so no need to get your hackles up. The route from the airport to GH is 90% Interstate, it's not all that complicated.

Nashville, TN
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
2,703 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 6 hours in Nashville on a Sunday

But you will not find a cab at the mall to take you back-- so get a number from your driver to call him for the return ride or have the mall's concierge call one for you.

US
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
2,968 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 6 hours in Nashville on a Sunday

Good point -- the only places you can "flag down" a cab is the airport and big hotels. Otherwise you have to call for a pickup, and you can't count on getting one within a certain time period of calling, just depends on where the cabs are and how busy they are. Best bet would be to arrange with the cab you get or their company to pick you up at a certain place/time. I'd even call them 30 minutes or so before the arranged time to re-confirm.

8. Re: 6 hours in Nashville on a Sunday

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 August 2010, 06:22
Get answers to your questions about Nashville