We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Place to Eat Around Opryland

Which Nashville hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Marlton, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,074 posts
677 reviews
Save Topic
Place to Eat Around Opryland

We are going to the Grand Ole Opry on a Saturday night and would like to eat somewhere close to that area. It would be nice if it had some bbq as this is the only chance that we get to eat at a Nashville restaurant.

US
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
3,079 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Place to Eat Around Opryland

There are only hotel and chain restaurants and a couple of tourist-oriented spots in the Opryland area. There's one BBQ place at the Opry Mills outlet mall food court but I don't know anyone who has eaten there. There are a few restaurants on McGavock, such as Caney Fork. Some of the restaurants inside Opryland are ok, but they are not cheap and they are "corporate." In fact, the pickings in this area are so slim that "Opryland" doesn't even appear as a neighborhood in the local weekly newspaper's online restaurant guide.

So, is location really the primary criteria, or are you interested in better fare outside of that area?

Marlton, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,074 posts
677 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Place to Eat Around Opryland

I guess it depends on how far away it is. I have Opry tickets that night and want to eat and have time to make it back to the Opry without getting stuck in tons of traffic. I really appreicate any advice that you can give me.

Thank you.

Lakeland, TN
Destination Expert
for Tennessee, Memphis
Level Contributor
2,864 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Place to Eat Around Opryland

A couple of places in the general neighborhood which would be non chain and good food are Darfon's on Elm Hill Pike (American grill, burgers, good salads, bar) and Caney Fork Fish Camp near The Opryland. To get good BBQ you should go to a Memphis style place like Corky's in Brentwood (a short drive).

US
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
3,079 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Place to Eat Around Opryland

Brentwood is pretty far to go when you need to get to the Opry after a show. And while I like Corky's just fine, there's plenty of good BBQ a lot closer than that.

To the OP ... if you really want to stay in the Opry area -- and I don't blame you -- I'd go to Caney Fork. It's a "concept" restaurant and it's sort of faux rustic Southern, but it's not bad. In fact, when it opened it got pretty good reviews from the daily paper's restaurant critic at the time. He's a friend of mine and I trust his judgment. So, you could do a lot worse in that area. Here's the web site with menu: http://www.caneyforkfishcamp.com/.

If you really want BBQ, I'd probably go to Jack's on Trinity Lane. That is probably about 15 minutes from the Opry. You'll see Jack's downtown mentioned a lot on this forum, but parking at the Trinity Lane location will be a LOT easier, and navigation to and from will be easier as well. http://www.jacksbarbque.com/locations.html

Marlton, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,074 posts
677 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Place to Eat Around Opryland

I appreciate the replies. Is Caney Fork mainly seafood? The other option that I considered is that we are taking a trolley tour in Nashville around 12:30pm, so we could eat at either the Capitol Grill or Wildhorse Saloon after that and have a bigger meal and then just eat something light near the Opry. Is that do-able?

Also is there a way to drive by where the stars live?

Thank you for all your wonderful advice.

US
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
3,079 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Place to Eat Around Opryland

If you follow the link to the Caney Fork web site you can view a menu. No, it's not all fish.

The music stars don't live in a single enclave that you can drive by. They live scattered all over the area, within a 50-60 mile radius.

I can't advise you as to what schedule you should follow ... do what feels right to you. If you want to eat lunch downtown and want something casual, go to Jack's downtown. I would do that before the Wildhorse .... The Capital Grille is a whole different animal. Fabulous, but is in a landmark, historic hotel and is considered one of the best restaurants in Nashville. This is NOT a "feed your face" sort of place, but a real gourmet, white tablecloth restaurant.

Decide what kind of food and experience you want, find places that match that, and go. Right now everything you've mentioned is all over the map, geographically as well as philosophically, so to speak. Go to the web sites for all the restaurants mentioned here as well as whatever other names you've picked up and look at the menus posted online to get a feel for what might suit you. You can also take a look at the (professional) thumbnail reviews on the weekly newspaper's web site, nashvillescene.com/nashville/LocationSearch…

Madison, AL
Level Contributor
406 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Place to Eat Around Opryland

If you can wait until after the Opry is over, Caney Fork might be a good place to see Country Music stars. We were there a couple of weeks ago around 9:00pm and soon afterwards Trace Adkins walked in! Our waitress told us that some stars come over there after their done performing at the Opry.

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Place to Eat Around Opryland

Dave & Busters is a minute's walk from The Opry. It has BBQ on the menu. Here's the link to my review tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g55229-d1432…

US
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
3,079 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Place to Eat Around Opryland

Dave & Busters is a national chain out of Dallas and NOT a "Nashville restaurant" as the OP requested. Yes, it has barbecue, but ...

Edited: 16 April 2010, 15:29
Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Place to Eat Around Opryland

The OP requested info on someplace to eat convenient to The Opry, preferably with BBQ. I didn't interpret the request as being for someplace unique to Nashville. For people wanting a restaurant handy to The Opry, D&B works well.