We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to stay

Which Nashville hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Smithsburg, MD
Level Contributor
13 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
where to stay

We are planning a trip mid to late September to Nashville to spend our vacation in a place that could probably use a few tourism dollars now. (So sorry about the flood) We don't know if it would be better to stay downtown or maybe out by the Opryland hotel for ease of getting to different attractions. We tend to stay in either Intercontinental Hotel Group hotels or Wyngates as we are on a budget. We are in early 50s so nightlife for us ends fairly early. Any advice is appreciated.

vcv
Tennessee
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where to stay

I've gotten very good deals in the airport area through Priceline (and some of my friends have too); one of the 3* hotels in that area is the Airport Sheridan. It's a quick drive via I-40 (about 10 minutes) into the downtown area unless you travel during rush hour.

US
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
3,006 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: where to stay

I would say it depends entirely on what you mean by "attractions." There's "stuff" in the Opryland area but honestly none of it would appeal to me if I were visiting. That's just me though; obviously a lot of people enjoy it. So ... Why not make a list of specific things you want to do and see, then we can point out the optimal location.

Smithsburg, MD
Level Contributor
13 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: where to stay

The husband is a huge fan of country music especially the older stuff. Me, not so much but would still like to see the Grand Ol Opry, Ryman Auditorium, General Jackson showboat, country music hall of fame, opry mills, the hermitage, bell witch, arrington vineyard and possibly the jack daniels distillery. Am also open to other suggestions especially for country music or historical. Not into art museums and such so much. We also like wineries if there are any around.

If we were to decide to stay in the city, how far away from the touristy things is the west end? If staying in the city, we would want to be within walking distance of most things. Any suggestions?

Madison, AL
Level Contributor
406 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: where to stay

I highly suggest Tommy's Tours, its a tour of Country Music stars homes and Nashville. Tommy is very funny and very knowledgeable of Nashville and the country stars. He will pick you up at your hotel.

US
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
3,006 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: where to stay

As far as I know, there are no Wyngate or Intercontinental hotels in Nashville.

Opry Mills and the Opry House are in the same shape as the Opryland Hotel -- recovering from being under 10 feet of water; they are all part of the same complex. I'm not sure about the General Jackson, it may or may not be running. Most of the things you'll want to see are downtown. This web site has current information about what hotels and attractions are open or not due to the flood: visitmusiccity.com/visitors/floodinformation

I would say your best bet would be to stay downtown or somewhere convenient to downtown. Exactly where will probably depend on your budget or what sort of deal you can find on Priceline or similar. The airport area, as previously mentioned, isn't a bad idea if your budget is tight. If you can find a good deal in the Vanderbilt/Midtown/West End area, that would be a little nicer.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
83 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: where to stay

We were in Nashville in April, and stayed in the Doubletree Downtown Hotel. It was excellent, walking distance of Ryman, Country Music Hall of Fame and Broadway. The staff were really friendly, there is a Starbucks in the lobby and they do a super breakfast. I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
1,698 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: where to stay

Hi azurewinds94,

If I were you, I would stay as close to downtown as possible, especially if you want to visit the sites of downtown and visit the honkytonks.

The Union Station Hotel is owned by Wyndham, which owns some Wingate by Wyndham hotels. You may want to check to see if you can get your discounts there. www.unionstationhotelnashville.com It is a very beautiful and historic hotel. If you are used to walking about 3/4 mile to the action, then this place would be a great choice.

Two other hotels within the IHG are Hotel Indigo (301 UNION STREET) and Holiday Inn Express (920 BROADWAY). I am not familiar with these hotels, but are all within the 3/4 mile distance of the center of downtown.

Bob

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
5,696 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: where to stay

There are a number of ICH hotels in Nashville. However, the only ones downtown are a Holiday Inn Express on Broadway and a new Hotel Indigo at 3rd and Union. For the downtown attractions, the Hotel Indigo would be your best option. The Holiday Inn Express is across from Union Station and if you're walking it from 2nd Avenue or any of the other downtown attractionsl it's a bit of a walk and mostly uphill.

If you don't mind using public transportation, there's an express bus from downtown to the Opry Mills, General Jackson, Oprtland hotel area (hopefully it'll be cleaned up by then).

I don't know if the Wyngate and the Wingate by Wyndham are the same company. If they are, the only one I'm aware of in Nashville itself is out near the airport and some distance from the attractions you're interested in.

9. Re: where to stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 November 2010, 05:16