We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fun Things for Toddler

Perry, GA
2 posts
Save Topic
Fun Things for Toddler

We are meeting my in-laws for Father's Day weekend in Nashville and looking for something fun to do with our toddler on Saturday. He is almost 2.

Thanks in advance.

US
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
3,181 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fun Things for Toddler

The main thing that comes to mind is the Nashville Zoo. It's a very nice zoo and has a playground area, etc. for kids. The zoo occupies an old farmstead that was owned by a well-to-do family, and there are guided tours of the house as well as a garden, stable, sheds, etc.

http://www.nashvillezoo.org

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
925 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fun Things for Toddler

Here's another recent thread with some info re: playgrounds

tripadvisor.com/…26080215

right over your...
Level Contributor
962 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Fun Things for Toddler

When my children were that young they loved the Science Center but I have herd it is totally different now so I do not know how much they have for that young of an age.

http://www.adventuresci.com/

Nashville
Level Contributor
128 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fun Things for Toddler

Can't go wrong with Ferrell's rec of Nashville Zoo. Assuming your in-laws are local or someone knows their way around the area. On Saturday morning , pick up a loaf or two of white bread and take your toddler to Centennial Park (located in area of town called "West End" - go by 8am-ish or shortly thereafter) and go to the small lake (Lake Watauga) in the park where he can feed LOTS of ducks, geese, pigeons, etc. The toddlers and young kids love it ! After that, you can take him to a great playground in the park (on the far side/loop of park - a little ways behind a McDonald's, but not a part of or connected with McD's). Nicely shaded by trees, has very safe "crumb-rubber" flooring so when the toddlers take a spill, they don't get cut up. And both of these activities are free. Also have an old/huge non-operating steam locomotive in the park which the kids love, at least for 10 mins (giving directions would be nebulous - just look around and you'll see it). Good way to fill 2+ hrs before it gets hotter than all heck out here ! Centennial Park also has a replica of the Greek Parthenon with an art exhibit inside, in case you want to bore the heck out of the toddler :)

right over your...
Level Contributor
962 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Fun Things for Toddler

I love Centennial Park! (as long as there is nothing going on there taking up all the parking spaces, on a weekend it will be crowded evn if nothing special going on but I would still give it a try) There are a lot of geese families there right now to feed.

There is a big airplane to see to by the train.

I was just thinking yesterday that I did not know if they had a good playground for young ones.

hoyvenon, how do you get to that play ground? Thank you.

Nashville
Level Contributor
128 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fun Things for Toddler

Playground is further up from the plane and locomotive........sort of behind the small concession/snack bar building that is sometimes open.......the "loop road" has 3 or 4 parking spots close to there.....it's maybe 50 yds behind the McDonald's out on West End......being local, you probably can figure this out from these "gray directions".

For BabySamsMom, even if there is a big weekend event (art fair or a fund-raiser walk at the park), usually if you get there by 8:30am, you can get a parking spot. But I don't foresee there being any huge events at the park on Father's Dat weekend.

Nashville
Level Contributor
128 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fun Things for Toddler

One last thing about feeding the ducks/geese......in SOME certain sections, there can at times be a pletora of geese droppings from those that have been walking around, so bring an old rag or two, just in case.

Nashville
Level Contributor
128 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fun Things for Toddler

pletora = plethora.....it's late !

9. Re: Fun Things for Toddler

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 December 2010, 06:16