We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Young Couple Moving to Nashville

Boca Raton, Florida
Level Contributor
17 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Young Couple Moving to Nashville

We're planning to relocate from Palm Beach to Nashville. Not sure what Nashville's about, just know that we need an urbanized area with lots of shopping, good nightlife and a small percentage of Rednecks ( no offense to anyone). What areas are THE areas to be or maybe a suburb not too far away. We don't like too many college kids though. We're in our late twenties, our friends range from about 28 to 45 so that's the kind of crowd that we would like. People who dont plan on getting drunk on the weekends. Thanks everyone!

1. Re: Young Couple Moving to Nashville

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 January 2006, 19:55
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Young Couple Moving to Nashville

I think it would be wise if you visited Nashville for three or four days to get a genuine feel for the area and the people. I would advise anyone making a major move to do that regardless of where they're going.

Nashville is not Palm Beach. If that's what you're hoping to find, you're not going to find it there. It does, however, have a lot going for it. A growing business sector, bustling music scene, diverse mix of people and rich history make it a unique place. We loved the two years we spent there while my husband was in law school.

I will tell you that Nashville is home to over 30 colleges and universities so you're going to run into plenty of students. Not all of them party non-stop, however. Because Nashville does attract a lot of academics, I think it makes for a really interesting mix of people.

Franklin, TN
Level Contributor
688 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Young Couple Moving to Nashville

Wow, from you comments seems as if we need an image consultant, here. Nashville, while not an Atlanta, is a very progressive city that has tried to hold on to it's small city feel. As far as the area to be in, we have been in Franklin, burb about 20 miles south of Nashville, for about 6 years. Can be kind of pricey, but very nice and growing. Great shopping with Cool Springs Galleria, Excellent dining, from chains to locals. Wide variety of people live here, from Titans football players to county music people. Then, there are plenty of us regular folks. We don't get too drunk on the weekends. Nearest college is Vanderbilt and they don't party anyway. Don't know if kids are in your plans, but Williamson County schools are arguably the best in the state.

Good luck.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Young Couple Moving to Nashville

Volrichard, I hope you didn't think I was slamming Nashville in any way. Nashville has plenty going for it that Atlanta does not, believe me. I wish Atlanta had all the lovely parks and green spaces Nashville has managed to preserve. The city also has a slower pace and friendliness that Atlanta used to have but seems to have lost.

Franklin is a wonderful place. If I didn't have family living here in Atlanta, we probably would have settled in Franklin.

nashville
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Young Couple Moving to Nashville

If you are looking for Urban areas in which to live, you've stumbled upon Nashville at a great time. The downtown area is going through a renaissance where unique and interesting buildings are being remodled and turned into lofts. This is a great real estate opportunity if you are wanting to live in the city. Other established areas would be on the West Side. I moved from Atlanta, and would compare WestEnd to parts of Buckhead and Vinings. East Nashville is a budding area, and if you are willing to get in and make some improvements, you will probably return a significant amount of money on your investment in the next few years. Franklin and Brentwood are both Suburbs...not urban...they are both nice, but you won't find a lot of 20 somethings in that area.

Nashville is a wonderful place filled with great people. Unlike Atlanta, it has culture, a great music scene, and southern charm....oh, and a lot less traffic. Too many people move to Atlanta for work, which has destroyed its roots...really...it's called The A.T.L. now...

Expect a big difference from Palm Beach, but I think the charm of this budding city will win you over.

Nashville
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Young Couple Moving to Nashville

I've lived in atlanta and west palm beach.

I live in downtown nashville.

I would advise you to spend 6 months in the downtown/west end/vanderbilt area and explore the city/county. There is a lot of students in the area but they are not the party type.

It can be difficult getting an apartment in the west end/vandy area due to all the students, but you might be able to time it right.

There are some nice apartments downtown, the cumberland, an upscale new highrise, and capitol towers, an older cheaper place where i live.

As far as buying a surbaban home, i would look at hendersonville, it's 10-15 miles northeast of downtown.

7. Re: Young Couple Moving to Nashville

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 April 2006, 23:58