We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going to Opryland Sat. April 16

Which Nashville hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
97 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Going to Opryland Sat. April 16

We have tickets for the 9:30 Grand Ole Opry show tomorrow night. We are staying at the Hampton Inn downtown. What time would you recommend we leave the hotel? I understand from one of the forum postings that parking can be an issue at Opryland.

Also, there is a Sugarland concert at the Bridgestone that evening. Will any traffic from that affect us? We have a gps but any Nashville Insider directions would be appreciated!

Thanks.

tennessee
13 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Going to Opryland Sat. April 16

The Sugarland concert should not be an issue for you at all. By the time that you leave, the concert will be well under way and will not be over until11:00pm. Thirty minutes should give you plenty of time to get to the Opry and park, unless you just want some time to mill about before the show. If parking seems to be a problem, you might want to try parking at the still out-of-commission Opry Mills Mall. There is plenty of free parking which is very close to the Opry House in the parking lot of the mall which is still closed due to the flooding some time ago.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,125 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Going to Opryland Sat. April 16

Parking for the Grand Old Opry is a *major* challenge. Arrive as early as you can.

We did what you're doing 3 weeks ago. Saw Carrie Underwood and many other fine members of the Opry family at the 7pm Grand Old Opry show.

When we got out at 9:05pm, it took nearly an hour to walk to our car and get out of the parking lot. We had been able to park fairly close (since we arrived at 3:30pm for the 4pm Backstage Tour) but the entire parking lot was packed to the max (with both the 7pm people and the 9:30pm people in the lot).

Make sure to not cut it too close. Arrive at least 60-90 minutes or more before the show. That way you would at least get the best of whatever parking remains (getting the jump on the "second show people") and you will have time to walk to the Opry from far away and you would get a decent spot in line. It's an incredible ZOO prior to 9pm in line, with the 7pm people leaving and the 9:30pm people lining up. All at the same time.

People who arrive too late for the later show will definitely get the worse parking ---- with two shows of folks parking.

Just know that, for the later show, the parking is WAY, WAY OUT THERE so give time to walk in.

Even though we had a car the whole time (and were in a close-by parking space to the ticket booth, arriving at 3:30pm) and only drove from close-by in Music Valley, if I was to do it over again --- I'd take a cab. It was raining really bad when we were there though. We got soaked.

Hopefully you'll have better weather.

Good luck and enjoy the Grand Ole Opry. We had a fantastic time.

Edited: 16 April 2011, 06:54
Level Contributor
97 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Going to Opryland Sat. April 16

Wow. Now I'm really confused! I think a cab is about 30.0 each way.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,125 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Going to Opryland Sat. April 16

Sorry to be confusing. We were staying very close (Music Valley) so we actually could have walked it in the good weather --- it was about 3 miles or so (and I don't think a cab would have been much for us) but our main problem was the heavy rain.

The other problem for us is that we didn't know exactly where the ticket booth was so we mistakenly parked way down the parking lot, following the signs for GOO parking, which we wouldn't have done had we known where the booth was. We got completely drenched to the skin walking in heavy rain for about 1/2 a mile.

Since you're staying further away, a cab doesn't sound practical for you but ALSO we're giving you a lot of info here so that you can be prepared. The most important thing to know is that there will be two sets of people parking in the lot (the people from the 7pm show will still be there and they will have the closer parking) so the earlier you get there, the easier it will be to find a somewhat-decent parking place and it will be a bit of a walk to get to the Opry building.

The other variable (that locals could answer) is if your show has sold out. Both shows the day that we went sold out early, as soon as people found out Carrie Underwood was performing. So that makes for 9,000 people (fortunately some come by bus and multiples to a car) in that parking lot. Lots of people couldn't find their car and were wandering the lots in the dart and wet (with the weather being so bad). Like I said, it was a zoo.

Hopefully you won't have rain, Just make sure not to cut it too close. That cab comment was just for me (as I got tired of getting drenched) and wouldn't necessarily apply in other situations. Hope that answers the question better.

Enjoy the concert!

Edited: 16 April 2011, 18:50
Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
814 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Going to Opryland Sat. April 16

Just so you don't run into any confusion...

The Grand Ole Opry is a show.

Opryland was a theme park that closed over a decade ago.

Not trying to pick at your post but the first thing I thought when i read your thread titled was-wow they are going to be disappointed.

6. Re: Going to Opryland Sat. April 16

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2012, 03:16