We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help planning mom/teen trip to Nashville & Memphis

Which Nashville hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
9 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Need help planning mom/teen trip to Nashville & Memphis

Mom & 17 yr old daughter visiting both Nashville and Memphis - mainly to hear great music. I'm looking for good music spots and wasn't sure if they'll let her into bars like Wildhorse Saloon, Bluebird Cafe, etc. We'll probably go to Rymans Theater - wasn't sure about Opryland because we're not too much into country music. Any other great places to hear music???

Also - we're visiting both cities in 5 days and I'm looking for advice on the best day time tourist attractions. We're planning to go to Graceland and Rock and Soul Museum.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help planning mom/teen trip to Nashville & Memphis

If you are not into country, that takes your options down quite a bit from the touristy places in Nashville. Try the Exit/In or 3rd & Linsley for other music. I do suggest a trip to Tootsies or the Wildhorse just for the Nashville scene.

I suggest Jacks BBQ on Broadway downtown to eat.

Memphis I suggest only going to Beale Street and STAY on Beale Street. Memphis is not the friendliest city in Tennessee. Graceland is fun but go in the daytime. Not in the best neighborhood. I suggest Rendevous downtown to eat.

Lakeland, TN
Destination Expert
for Tennessee, Memphis
Level Contributor
2,837 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help planning mom/teen trip to Nashville & Memphis

The Memphis portion of the above obervation is considerably colored with a single opinion, but then everyone has one. First, Nashville is great for the music history and venues you'll find there, however I wouldn't wait for any BBQ establishment in that city when Memphis is known as the Pork Barbecue Mecca and you can find dozens of that type of eatery in which to sample the product. Sticking only to Beale St. for safety reasons is a bit myopic as well. Downtown is the best area in which to stay and stroll or ride the wonderful vintage trolley cars without worrying with your car, and you can find great hotels within a few blocks of Beale. Law enforcement rides on bikes, transporters, and patrol cars, and there is a "Blue Suede Brigade" of kind folks in pith helmets who walk around dispensing directions and tourist information. Crime stats reflect mostly intra neighborhood and domestic disputes. The Memphis Zoo was rated #1 by T.A. contributors.

Nashville's Lower Broadway is fun to walk and drop in to dancing and listening venues, and of course you'll want to make reservations for the Grand Ol Opry. Nash Trash Tours is a fun way to get a comic exposure to Music City. If you can get out there to Hwy 100 @ the Natchez Trace, try Loveless Cafe for a amazing Tennessee country breakfast or lunch.

Welcome to TN!

Level Contributor
9 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help planning mom/teen trip to Nashville & Memphis

Thanks for the advice! Very helpful. I must admit that I was alarmed to hear that Memphis is not safe - but I lived in Manhattan for 3 years so how bad could it really be?

Another question I have is will I be able to bring my daughter into all the clubs? We're not planning on drinking - just listening to the music - and people watching ;)

Lakeland, TN
Destination Expert
for Tennessee, Memphis
Level Contributor
2,837 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need help planning mom/teen trip to Nashville & Memphis

You're welcome. Most clubs will allow admission to minors in the afternoon with parental accompanyment. Silky O'Sullivan's has a courtyard with live entertainment, and there is usually live Blues being performed in Handy Park in the center of the district.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
9,505 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need help planning mom/teen trip to Nashville & Memphis

We're not big country music fans, but we LOVED the Grand Ole Opry show--it's such a Nashville institution and we were really glad we went. The back stage tour (book in advance) was excellent, too.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
3 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need help planning mom/teen trip to Nashville & Memphis

Your daughter can go to the Bluebird, she just can't sit at the bar unless she's 21. But there are plenty of other places to sit and listen. Just get there early. I would recommend going to the early show for a guaranteed seat. You may not have heard of the artist but you never know, he/she just might strike it big in the near future.

7. Re: Need help planning mom/teen trip to Nashville & Memphis

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2012, 07:16