We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

To Greyhound, or not to Greyhound?!

Bedford, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
To Greyhound, or not to Greyhound?!

Hi there,

I'm going to Nashville this October for two weeks as part of a 6 week trip and i'm staying with a friend but I want to go to Memphis after and i figured the easiest and cheapest way was to go by Greyhound. After reading some posts on here, i'm in two minds now!

I'm a young female solo traveller, so would you recommend using the greyhound? It would be a late afternoon trip and friends are meeting me at the bus stop in Memphis.

I'm also wanting to visit New Orleans too which from Memphis i see is an 11 hour trip on the bus...it just seems the most cheapest option of travelling but i'm put off by some of the posts on here. I have a driver's license but i don't particulary want to hire a car.

Would appreciate some feedback from other fellow solo female travellers...

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Nashville
Nashville
Davidson County, TN
Memphis
Memphis
Tennessee
New Orleans
New Orleans
Louisiana
Nashville, TN
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
2,728 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: To Greyhound, or not to Greyhound?!

Personally, I would not ride the bus.

Amtrak runs a train from Memphis to NO, I have friends who have done this and enjoyed it.

Mentioned in this post
Memphis
Memphis
Tennessee
US
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
3,181 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: To Greyhound, or not to Greyhound?!

When I was a young female solo traveler, I rode Greyhound more than once to Knoxville, Atlanta, etc.

I would say it just depends on how well you tolerate the wide variety of folks you encounter on public transportation, and how comfortable you are in urban environments.

Keep in mind that riding the bus, while it may be cheaper than a car rental, takes a lot longer (unless there's an Express).

Mentioned in this post
Knoxville
Knoxville
Tennessee
Atlanta
Atlanta
Georgia
Lakeland, TN
Destination Expert
for Tennessee, Memphis
Level Contributor
3,057 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: To Greyhound, or not to Greyhound?!

Hi,

I understand your concern about the greyhound trip, it wouldn't be my first choice either, but if you are being met at the station by friends it's really not a biggie. The most sketchy part of it would have been lingering in the bus station in unfamiliar surroundings. Once you leave the terminal you're in a better area right away regardless. I would agree with Pam that the train would be the most interesting transportation south to N.O. You ride the legendary "City Of New Orleans" made famous by Arlo Guthrie's song.

I would also agree with TFerrell (the one with the sandy feet!) that you ought to be fine riding the bus, it's just a matter of exposure to a wide variety of travelers. Have an interesting and fun Tennessee trip!

Mentioned in this post
New Orleans
New Orleans
Louisiana
Tennessee
Tennessee
United States
Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
3,460 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: To Greyhound, or not to Greyhound?!

I rode it 15 years ago as a single female out of Dallas and I wasn't worried about my safety. You'll have plenty of people who'll look out for you becasue they're in the same situation. But it was not an easy ride and I would not do it again. At one point, our bus driver just left us in a parking lot for an hour and another bus driver got on without any explanation.

My mom had a difficult experience going through Atlanta because she had to fight to get on the bus (no guaranteed seat/ticket unlike plane or train travel) and it got physical with shoving required to get on a bus. And she had to figure out what bus she was supposed to be on as it was not marked and changed regularly. Fortunately, she had a group take her in and guide her, but it's not something I recommend.

Edited: 19 August 2011, 18:59
Mentioned in this post
Dallas
Dallas
Texas
Atlanta
Atlanta
Georgia
Lake Mary, Florida
Level Contributor
217 posts
246 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: To Greyhound, or not to Greyhound?!

I have just booked my greyhound from Memphis to Nashville in February of next year. Where about if the coach station in Nashville located? Am meeting friends who are locals in Nashville before heading south towards Florida.

Mentioned in this post
Memphis
Memphis
Tennessee
Nashville
Nashville
Indiana
Nashville
Nashville
Davidson County, TN
Florida
Florida
United States
Nashville, TN
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
2,728 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: To Greyhound, or not to Greyhound?!

The Greyhound Station moved a year or so ago, so your friend might no be aware of its new location. It is on Charlotte at 10th, just outside of downtown.

Mentioned in this post
Charlotte
Charlotte
North Carolina
7. Re: To Greyhound, or not to Greyhound?!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2012, 11:16