We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant Suggestions please!

chicago, illlinois
Level Contributor
26 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurant Suggestions please!

We are a bunch of old college friends (mid-30's) spending the weekend in Nashville in November. None of us have ever been there before. We are staying at the Hermitage and need some great restaurant recommendations. Some that have been mentioned to us are: Virago, whiskey kitchen, kayne prime and merchants? Thoughts on these? Any othet not-to-be-missed?

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant Suggestions please!

Capitol Grille in the Hermitage is one of Nashville's top restaurants. City House is also outstanding. Miel's is a great place too. The Patterson House is an outstanding bar. Broadway Brewhouse is fun. Good luck.

Capitol Grille @ 231 6th Avenue North, Nashville, TN 615 - 345 - 7116.

http://thehermitagehotel.com/site/

City House @ 1222 4th Ave. North, Nashville, TN 615 - 736 - 5838.

http://cityhousenashville.com/

Miel @ 343 53rd Ave. North, Nashville, TN 615 - 298 - 3663.

http://www.mielrestaurant.com/

The Patterson House @ 1711 Division Street, Nashville, TN 615 - 244 - 7989.

US
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
3,181 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant Suggestions please!

I concur with Capitol Grille and City House. The others you mention are good, too. I'd do Whiskey Kitchen for drinks only. The food is fine, but they shine with the drinks. I'd skip Merchants. It's OK, but the others are better. Other favorites of mine are Eastland Cafe, Margot, Cha Chah.

Check menus online. While all of these are in the top tier in Nashville, there's a pretty wide range of prices.

P.S. Kayne Prime, Virago, and Whiskey Kitchen are all owned by the same restaurant group. That's not a drawback, and they are very different restaurants, but just FYI if you want to spread the love a bit.

Nashville, TN
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
2,720 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant Suggestions please!

Although there is no alcohol, Monell's in the Germantown neighborhood is an excellent brunch/lunch choice.

Lewiston, New York
Level Contributor
17 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurant Suggestions please!

Did the capitol grill a few months ago... It was a very nice (and expensive) experience. We were there celebrating our 25th anniv and the staff made it a very nice occasion. If your willing to travel out of town a bit, the Loveless Cafe was another worthwhile side trip; very good food, unlimited biscuits ( they even filled up a to go container for us), very accommodating wait staff and the fried chicken was what Id expect from a southern diner ! Looks very touristy but good eats !

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurant Suggestions please!

Go to Arnold's for good southern food. Good luck.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
14 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurant Suggestions please!

You can't miss with Germantown Cafe. It's not far from down town and the menu is simple and delicious. Capitol Grille is very good food, but a little fru-fru and expensive. Puckett's Grocery is also downtown and within walking distance of your hotel. Nothing fancy, but pretty good food.

Madison, AL
Level Contributor
406 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurant Suggestions please!

Another vote for Monell's!!

US
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
3,181 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurant Suggestions please!

@rj4055 If by "frou-frou" you mean pretentious or not worthwhile, then you're off the mark. I don't know why some people insist that excellent food + upscale service = undesirable. Yes, it's expensive, but not even the most expensive restaurant in town. And there's not even a dress code as you would find in many cities in a restaurant of that quality.

Also, I like Germantown Cafe a *lot* -- and I've recommended it here more than once. But I wouldn't call it a "can't miss."

Level Contributor
110 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurant Suggestions please!

Just back from a great weekend there.

We had a fabulous meal at Sambuca in the Gulch area. Excellent food and live music. Was recommended by my 29 yr old son who was there in Sept. for a bachelor party. Glad we chose this for one of our evenings in Nashville.

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
337 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Restaurant Suggestions please!

Monell's gets a lot of recommendations, however I think you should know that you are served family style at a large table with lots of other people. We went there for a Sunday brunch, and found the garden beautiful, but when we realized we were sitting with a large group and passing family style, we opted out. We were there for an anniversary weekend and that it not the atmosphere we were looking for. I just think everyone should be informed of this prior to choosing this type of restaurant.