We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip of a lifetime please advise

tamworth
Level Contributor
68 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Trip of a lifetime please advise

We are doing a trip of a lifetime to the states taking in New York, Niagara Falls and visiting relatives in Parkersburg. Hubby has now delighted me by agreeing that we should visit Nashville.

We are going in the 2nd week in June arriving on the Monday night and staying both Tuesday and Wednesday night. On the Tuesday we are going to go to the Opry (how could we resist) but apart from that haven't decided what to do.

Due to the scale of our trip (and the cost of NY hotel rooms) we are thinking of doing a days inn motel near opryland but would be grateful for any recommendations of cheap clean & safe accommodation.

Also should we stay out at the Opry or downtown? We will have a car so driving isn't a problem. Any recommendations on what else to do would be fantastic.

Honestly so excited I can hardly type!!

Thanks

Kitt x

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip of a lifetime please advise

Wow..........you are taking a long trip. Are you flying to Nashville and driving to NY. That's a big trip. Nashville is a great city. I would stay downtown. There's some great inexpensivle hotels in that area and plenty of fine places for music and dining. Good luck.

Here's a link to downtown hotels and restaurants. Comfort Inn should work out good. Good luck.

DOWNTOWN MAP HOTELS/RESTAURANTS.

http://www.nashvilledowntown.com/play/hotels

DOWNTOWN PARKING.

http://www.parkitdowntown.com/maps

Comfort Inn Downtown @ 1501 Demonbreun Street, Nashville, TN 615 - 255 - 9977.

http://www.hotelsdowntownnashville.com/

Nashville, TN
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
2,720 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip of a lifetime please advise

I am not sure, but your dates may put you in town for the CMA Music Festival. If so, book your rooms early, as this city gets crowded.

I would syggest you stay downtown. If it is the CMA Fest week, stay wherever you can get a place in your price range.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,289 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip of a lifetime please advise

If you get a chance, you must go to the Station Inn on Monday night and check out the Time Jumpers. Some of the best players in the Nashville area (Vince Gill, Paul Franklin, etc.) in an intimate setting.

http://stationinn.com/

http://www.thetimejumpers.com/

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,275 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip of a lifetime please advise

I agree with the downtown stay. However, certainly the opry is a must see. You can spend quite a bit of time at the opryland hotel (conservatory, gardens, shops).

The CMA is worth being here for, but certainly book early.

What type of things are you interested in?

There are a few history things (TN state museum under TPAC or Nashboro village). Of course music and honkey tonks are a plenty around the downtown area. Riverfront area, centennial park, The Frist center (wonderful but costly), the Hermitage or even venture out to Cheekwood. Lots of good options depending on your interests.

Have a great trip!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
1,144 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip of a lifetime please advise

Definitely stay downtown where the action is. The Opry is all by itself a fair distance from downtown.

Washington
Level Contributor
534 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip of a lifetime please advise

You may also consider the Hilton Homewood Suites, right downtown. It gives you a little more room to spread out and you can walk to everything. You can also save money with the big, free breakfast. In addition, they have a free dinner Monday through Thursday with beer and wine. We ate there twice during our stay and it was good (not great, but good enough). The nights we didn't eat there we enjoyed some more upscale dining, like Germantown Cafe.

Bristol, UK
Level Contributor
118 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip of a lifetime please advise

Hi there,

We returned from a month in the US a few weeks ago and we flew in and out of Nashville. When we arrived we stayed out near Opryland as we were beginning an arranged trip......we had a good couple of nights as we visited Opryland in the daytime and had a city tour all arranged including a night at the Grand Ole Opry. On the free night we had we visited a restaurant/bar with live music there called John A's which we loved. But at the other end of our trip we stayed 'downtown' at Courtyard by marriott and that was right where all the action is - but it was a Sat night and absolutely heaving so a nightmare getting seats or drinks or a table for a meal. I think if we were younger we would have had a wonderful time - the atmosphere is great! But it was a bit too much like hard work and actually we equally enjoyed our nights out near Opryland BUT if we hadn't had the downtown experience we wouldn't have felt we'd done Nashville justice!! So i would encourage you to stay downtown but maybe not at the weekend unless you're younger than us and have some stamina. Nashville is great - we loved it and hope you do too!

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip of a lifetime please advise

We stayed at the downtown Holiday Inn Express which is excellent value for money if you want convenient and functional. Can't fault the rooms - ok so not luxurious and no frills but large clean rooms, breakfast included which is perfectly adequate and very handy for Downtown area. They have a free shuttle to take you around too. Nothing like the basic HIE hotels I have spent the odd night in before.

9. Re: Trip of a lifetime please advise

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 November 2012, 10:23