We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SHould I have a car for Nashville?

Which Nashville hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Thunder Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
2,229 posts
191 reviews
Save Topic
SHould I have a car for Nashville?

Thinking of sometime in 2012 to do a trip for a few days to Nashville.

Would most things to see are they accessible by walking if i stay downtown?

Or should I get a car as it would be best way to see everything?

Such as opryland and surrounding area?

IF staying downtown, is it difficult and $$$ to park?

What do you all suggest?

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
9,360 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: SHould I have a car for Nashville?

We stayed DT in a hotel with free parking. Although we enjoyed walking to see the sights DT, we were glad to have a car to get to other places.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,264 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: SHould I have a car for Nashville?

I think you will enjoy much more if you have a car. Parking is fairly easy downtown compared to most bug cities. Relative cheap in comparison as well.

Some of the attractions (like opryland) are quite a ways out (20+ miles).

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: SHould I have a car for Nashville?

You will enjoy having your own car. Stay downtown but be sure to visit the West End area around Vanderbilt University. There are great shops and restaurants there. Enjoy your trip.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
824 posts
863 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: SHould I have a car for Nashville?

Yes, get a car. You can see the state capitol building, the Ryman, and the Country Music Hall of Fame downtown, but there is much more to see around town. Enjoy some of the beautiful, historic places -- the Hermitage (home of President Andrew Jackson), Cheekwood (art in the old mansion and beautiful gardens on the grounds), the Parthenon at Centennial Park, Belle Meade (historic mansion), Cool Springs mall (south of town), the beautiful town of Franklin (just south of Nashville). The Opryland Hotel is a beautiful place to spend an hour or two; eat at one of the restuarants, or for less expensive fare, eat at the Cracker Barrel restaurant across the road (good southern cooking!).

Clarksville, TN
Level Contributor
15 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: SHould I have a car for Nashville?

Absolutely. It's spread out and taxi would be expensive.

Marathon, Florida
Level Contributor
60 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: SHould I have a car for Nashville?

Yes, as many folks here have said, get the car. You can do a lot downtown on foot but Nashville is very big and spread out. Car rental here is very affordable and getting around is easy with GPS. Some of the interstates get a littel tricky and some of the roads are confusing but GPS takes out the guess work for the most part. There are so many sites to see around the area you will have a blast, but if your on your feet you may have a blow out after night one lol.

7. Re: SHould I have a car for Nashville?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 December 2012, 10:20