We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving From Wisconsin To Tennessee

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
63 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Driving From Wisconsin To Tennessee

We decided to take our kids 16 and 18 to Tennessee at the end of January for their birthdays. All I've read says to stay away from Memphis except for Graceland. Should I book our main stay about 4 days in Nashville and then just do a day trip to and from Graceland or is it worth staying in Memphis for a night?

Other than that, I think everything else we want to see is in Nashville. The Grand Ole Opry etc. We also want to see Loretta Lynn's place. Yes, we are huge fans. Any advice for this trip would be appreciated. You guys are always wonderful.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
428 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving From Wisconsin To Tennessee

Memphis is a couple hundred miles from Nashville - so I would stay overnight. Have never been to Graceland, but the downtown Memphis area is nice - I have stayed @ Peabody, Marriott and Wyndham and was not worried about my safety. Like any big city - just be careful and don't act like a tourist or wander around alone. I'm sure the folks in Memphis forum can help you w/hotel recommendation close to Graceland.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
11,054 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving From Wisconsin To Tennessee

We spent 3-4 days in Nashville and the same in Memphis--there's lots to see besides Graceland: The National Civil Rights Museum alone is worth several hours.

We also liked Sun Studios, the Cotton Museum walking tour, Elmwood Cemetery driving tour, Gibson Guitar Factory, Mud Island, Rock 'n' Soul Museum, Stax Museum of Soul Music.

Lakeland, TN
Destination Expert
for Tennessee, Memphis
Level Contributor
2,979 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving From Wisconsin To Tennessee

Lasarre,

Nashville is great in all areas of entertainment, food and history, but you may have been reading some regional Homers' competitive jargon about Memphis. Wisconsin residents are among the millions of visitors to the Home of the Blues and the Birthplace of Rock n Roll annually who report having a ball without sensing danger and certainly without boredom. Authentic American music by in large originated nearly completely from within two to three hundred miles of Memphis, and the history and sampling of those sounds in the city take more than a day to experience. Graceland, Sun Studio, Beale St., the highest rated zoo according to two rating services, and a string of wide ranging museums make Memphis a darn good destination. Taking six to seven extra hours of driving time, round trip (minimum) just to keep from spending the night would not be a good strategy (IMO).

Edited: 31 December 2011, 01:23
Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving From Wisconsin To Tennessee

I second a few nights in Memphis during your trip. You could drive S through KY on your way to Nashville and back through St. Louis when you leave Memphis. Stay downtown and visit historic Beale Street. Enjoy both cities.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,273 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving From Wisconsin To Tennessee

I have lived in both Nashville and Memphis. I agree, there are plenty to do in both cities. A day trip to Memphis is not really feasible. Too much driving.

I also agree, a little "street smarts" can keep you safe in both cities. I would tend to spend an extra day in Nashville compared to Memphis. I like the idea of the eastern trip down to nashville and then the western return from memphis through St. Louis (like axle pointed out).

Whatever your decision, enjoy the great cities, music, sites and food!

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
851 posts
872 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving From Wisconsin To Tennessee

Do 3 nights in Nashville, then drive to Memphis, stopping at Hurricane Mills to see the Loretta Lynn museum/ranch (I assume that's what you meant) on the way to Memphis and spend a night or two there. I agree with Axle's idea of a loop drive.

7. Re: Driving From Wisconsin To Tennessee

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 February 2013, 10:19