We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"locals" favorite places to eat

Fallon, Nevada
Level Contributor
45 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
"locals" favorite places to eat

What are some of the favorite places that "locals" love to eat?

US
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
3,162 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: "locals" favorite places to eat

That's a really broad question for a city the size of Nashville with as vibrant a dining scene as we have. What budget / type of food / type of atmosphere / area of town are you interested in?

Fallon, Nevada
Level Contributor
45 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: "locals" favorite places to eat

we are staying at the Gaylord Opryland, but plan on eating downtown also.

Level Contributor
58 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: "locals" favorite places to eat

Close to your hotel - Darfon's, great food,great happy hour and also great Saturday brunch, 11-3. Closed on Sundays. Also, McNamara's Irish Pub - fun Irish music, great food, locally owned. If you want to sit in the venue room to listen to the band, best to call and make reservations for Fri or Sat, gets pretty busy. A cab from your hotel should take you right to both. Have a good trip!

US
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
3,162 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: "locals" favorite places to eat

Kenna I still have no idea what sort of restaurants you are looking for -- what price range, what type of food, what type of service/atmosphere. So I'm just going to list a top-of-my-head semi-random baker's dozen of some of my favorite places in a crapshoot approach.

These are in no particular order. Some are open only for dinner; some of the more expensive places have a less expensive lunch offering. Fido & Provence are good for breakfast as well as other means/snacks.

Eastland Cafe

City House

Porta Via (west Nashville OR Cool Springs)

Yellow Porch

B&C Barbecue (Franklin Rd OR Farmer's Market)

ChaChah

Fido

Rumba

Siam Cafe (not the steam table, the area in the back where you order off the menu)

Provence (Hillsboro Village OR downtown @ the Library)

Caffe Nonna

Germantown Cafe

Fido

P.S. Darfon's is popular yes, but there's nothing else decent in that area. It is a restaurant that had its heyday in culinary terms in the '80s. Nothing wrong with it at all, but there is absolutely nothing remarkable about it.

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
65 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: "locals" favorite places to eat

I second Mcnamara's. Really like their food. Pepperfire is a "hot chicken" place on Gallatin Road (take out only) and about 7 miles from the hotel. I go there a lot.

Fallon, Nevada
Level Contributor
45 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: "locals" favorite places to eat

Thanks for everyones suggestions! What about Demos Steak and Spaghetti House, Brick Tops, Puckets, Back Alley Diner, Monells Dining, Loveless Cafe?

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: "locals" favorite places to eat

Monell's and Puckett's are both outstanding. And I like Brick Top's too. Enjoy your visit.

Nashville, TN
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
2,713 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: "locals" favorite places to eat

Monell's, Arnold's, Margot, Eastland Cafe, Park Cafe, Marche, Firefly Grill, Table 3, Sperry's, J. Alexander's, Porta Via, Fish & Co.

US
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
3,162 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: "locals" favorite places to eat

The dining "downtown" in the core tourist zone is not that good. Lots and lots of places that are acceptable but the really excellent food in town is elsewhere. Of my recommendations, City House & Germantown Cafe are closest, just north of downtown. B&C and other interesting spots are in the Farmer's Market between the tourist zone and Germantown.

Demos Steak and Spaghetti House - skip it. Popular with some people but mediocre at best. Really so very many other more wonderful places in town.

BrickTops is good, I eat there frequently because I work nearby, but I wouldn't say that it's remarkable enough to warrant skipping some of the other more original spots in town. (For example, Rumba is just across the street.)

Pucketts, Monell's, Loveless, Arnold's are all southern/country cooking type spots. Pick one. (Note that Arnold's is not open for dinner.) No need to do all unless you really just want to focus on that type of food. Loveless isn't worth the drive UNLESS you are going to attend Music City Roots on Wednesday.

If you are determined to eat in the Printer's Alley area, Back Alley Diner is OK but Fleet Street Pub is a better choice. (Beware, they allow smoking.)

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
1,203 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: "locals" favorite places to eat

Bricktops is very good but it is not that different than any place you'd find in any other city.

I suggest Pancake Pantry for breakfast and Loveless Cafe for dinner. Loveless is not close to downtown, but worth the drive out west. Plus, you'll pass my house on the way out. Enjoy!