We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

June recommendations and activities

Which Nashville hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Buffalo
Level Contributor
18 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
June recommendations and activities

i would like to take my family of five including one college age, one highs school age and one middle school age child to hear some great country musice. any suggestions on where to go? what site would list shows? where to stay with a group that size? anything reasonable and with a pool? walking distance to attractions?

missouri
Level Contributor
194 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: June recommendations and activities

I was in Nashville this past week end. I think it is hard to find music outside of the bar type environment in Nashville, and we did hear some good music there!

Have you considered going to Branson, Mo? We go there several times a year, and you have many more choices for great country music in better environments for 'families'! Don't get me wrong, I'm not putting Nashville down (I can't wait to go back!) but just think it's easier to get a variety of shows in Branson! Some of the 'older' stars have theaters in Branson, plus there are several 'not so famous' entertainers who put on great shows!

If this would be a possibility for you, check out the Branson, Mo forum. Or if you have specific questions about Branson, I'll try to help.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
152 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: June recommendations and activities

While there's lots of country music in the bars here, it's not the only place to find it. Even the ice cream shop downtown has a musician on the weekends.

Your best bet might be the Grand Ole Opry. Performers only play two songs each, so you get the chance to hear lots of different musicians in one show. In the summer, the Opry starts Opry Plaza Parties, which are held outside the Grand Ole Opry before the weekend shows and are free.

Also, the Bluebird Cafe has wonderful shows (one note--they are very focused on performing and do not allow chatting during the show, so keep that in mind).

Try www.tennessean.com, www.nashvillerage.com, or www.nashvillescene.com for show listings.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
176 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: June recommendations and activities

What part of June are you coming down?

The biggest country music party will be held June 8-11, 2006. It's called The CMA Music Festival a.k.a Fanfair, http://www.cmamusicfest.com/2006/

Just a thought for loding, checkout Fairfield Resort at Opryland or checkout

www.vrbo.com (vacation rentals by owners).

Franklin, TN
Level Contributor
688 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: June recommendations and activities

I would start at the Grand daddy of it all, the Grand Ole Opry. You can buy tickets in advance through their website. They offer 2 shows each on Friday and Saturday nights (2nd show can go until midnite). They mix up the guests, so you never know who you will see. This past Saturday, Leigh Ann Womack, Carrie Underwood, Lorrie Morgan, so the stars do show up.

I would also go the the Bluebird Cafe, in the Green Hills section of town. Good live, local, music, a lot of songwriters of songs you have heard. Another suggestion is the Wildhorse Saloon. Commercialized country entertainment, where Nashville Star is taped, usually have a band, country dancing lesson, usually a good time. All of these places will allow your teenagers in.

Good luck and welcome to Nashville.

Buffalo
Level Contributor
18 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: June recommendations and activities

thank you all - i am going to plan a great time for the family - and maybe go to branson as well one of these days very soon!

franklin, TN
Level Contributor
89 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: June recommendations and activities

hi --

one more thing. if you enjoy low-key country music (not a lot of screaming and smashing guitars), just about any concert at the ryman would be a good experience. it is downtown and specializes in bluegrass/old-timey music.

plus, it is where the grand ole opry used to be before it got really big -- an old church, very charming.

-- susie margaret

Cleveland Heights...
Level Contributor
196 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: June recommendations and activities

My BF & I were in Nashville last month (loved it!), we stayed at the Fairfield Opryland which is VERY clean, quiet, good continetal b'fast (area kept very clean by staff) and a very reasonable price. It's a bit of a walk to the Grand Old Opry area from that motel, but they have a shuttle that is always taking guests over there.

They have an indoor pool that looked clean to me.

There's a mexican restaurant a couple of doors down from the FF Inn, good food, locally owned, and they encourage you to throw peanut shells on the floor, so the kids may enjoy that!

We saw the 1st show on Saturday night (7:30 I think) at the Grand Old Opry (GOO), SO much fun, and I'm not a "big" C&W fan, but the entertainers change every 10 min. or so, lots of variety. Try to get seats close to thestage, we got lucky with 8th row seats, and it was cool to be close to the action.

If you go to the GOO, be SURE to get there early - it shares the parking lot with a HUGE and I mean HUGE mall/convention ctr., and the lot gets full very fast. You may want to eat dinner at the mall so that you don't have a long walk to the GOO.

ALso a blast was the C&W Hall of Fame museum, but avoid the parking lot behind the building, it's self park for $15.00, which is a rip-off, IMO. We drove over 2 blocks (north, I think) and found a similar lot for $3.00, and the walk over was short and safe during the day. We added the "Studio B" tour to our visit, but IMO it's not worth the extra $$, and it takes one hour because it's off site (they shuttle you over). There's plenty to see at the museum itself.

We found Nashville very easy to get around, a nice laid back atmosphere, and I will go back! Also- we got a Hertz rental car for $20.00/day and free mileage! That was for an economy car since there were just 2 of us, it was new and not as "tiny" as I would have expected.