We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best catfish & oysters in Nashville?

Which Nashville hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
150 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Best catfish & oysters in Nashville?

Hi,

It's my boyfriend's birthday while we're visiting Nashville and I'd like some suggestions for the best place for catfish and oysters. Even though it's for a birthday it doesn't have to be fancy fine dinning, a casual atmosphere is more our style. He loved the food in NOLA so something with those types of flavors would be great.

I've looked at so many reviews and now I'm confused and can't decide. Chappy's on Church seemed like a good option based on the reviews that I've read but thought I would ask for any other recommendations.

We are staying at Opryland but will have a car so location isn't a problem, I'll drive where ever I need to make sure he gets a great meal.

Thanks

US
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
2,970 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best catfish & oysters in Nashville?

I think you may be confusing a couple of cuisines. Catfish is an inland southeast thing, a fresh water fish that's usually served with a standard set of sides. NO food is Cajun/Creole coastal/river delta food, heavily influenced by French & African cooking. In Nashville you don't have stellar stellar examples of either, plus you sometimes get some low-country coastal cuisine thrown in whenever seafood is featured.

There are a number of places in town that do some NO style stuff. Chappy's is certainly one, and the chef/owner hails from that part of the country. It gets mixed reviews at best, though. I'd probably hit up either Ri'Chard's Louisiana Cafe out White's Creek Pike, or 55 South in Franklin. Another place to consider more centrally located is South Street. It's a bit of a "joint" and not really LA-style, but they do do oysters, etc. There's also Fish & Co for the low-country thing.

For catfish the first thing that comes to mind is Uncle Bud's. It's a chain but sort of a local chain, and a stereotypical catfish restaurant. There's also Caney Fork Fish Camp in the Opryland area, a stand-alone restaurant that really really wants to be a chain. Other than that, you're looking at tiny restaurants out in the boonies, outside of metro Nashville proper.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
150 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best catfish & oysters in Nashville?

TFerrell,

Thank you for explaining more about the types of cuisine, you're right that I'm totally confused about them which is making it difficult to choose a spot. Thanks for the suggestions, I had a look at the menus and they sound like what I'm looking for.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
249 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best catfish & oysters in Nashville?

I agree with TFerrell, all of those places are great. We got really great oysters the other day at Batter'd and Fried Boston Seafood Cafe as well. It's in East Nashville, pretty cool spot in town. It's very casual, great outdoor patio. If you're looking for a great lunch you won't be disappointed!

US
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
2,970 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best catfish & oysters in Nashville?

Yeah, but Battered Fried is New England (Boston) style seafood, not Southern. Depends on what you're looking for I guess.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
811 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best catfish & oysters in Nashville?

I would agree that Uncle Buds is my fav for cat fish but plenty of places serve really good catfish in town.

Chappy's original restaurant (which was destroyed in a hurricane) was on the Mississippi gulf coast and his cooking is reflective of that area. Most people don't know the difference but my wife is from NOLA, and as a Katrina transplant (along with many of her friends that came up with her) have stated to me flatly -The best creole (and most like what she would have in NOLA) in town is hands down Papa Boudreaux's in downtown Franklin. Papa (the owner and head chef) is actually from the 9th ward.

Trust me, anytime a new cajun places opens in Nashville the cajun network lights up (they all know each other its a little creepy but i digress) and her and her friends go there and I go with them. It is the closet thing you will find to authentic southern Louisiana cooking, and when I say that I mean it is what her family cooks for us when we go to visit them in Thibodaux-Crawfish boil anyone or maybe Chicken Etouffee with andouille sausage?

Don't get me wrong Chappy's is good-its just not as good as Papa's. And as far as 55 south-it is not highly thought of by her and native NOLA friends.

6. Re: Best catfish & oysters in Nashville?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 12:42