We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which area?

Virginia
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Which area?

Would the Vanderbilt area be a good location for a hotel stay for a 4 night trip to Nashville? Which is the better place to stay: Vanderbilt area, Airport area, Opryland area? I have found much better prices on hotels that are not Downtown. We want to visit the Grand Ole Opry and sight see in Nashville.

Thanks for all tips and advice!

St. Augustine...
Destination Expert
for Jacksonville, Saint Augustine Beach
Level Contributor
1,176 posts
344 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which area?

I like Vanderbilt/West End only if you don't have to pay to park. If I were staying longer than one night that would be my choice. You will have more food options but will have to drive a short distance to get to Opry Mills and the Opry

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
177 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which area?

It just depends on what type of area you are looking for.

I love the West End/Vanderbilt area, but there are some nice safe areas in terms of shopping and chain restaurants out past the airport and the Opryland area has its own appeal as well.

West End/Vanderbilt area:

This area is a combination of independent restaurants and shops and chains restaurants and shops. Being a college area, you see a lot of young people around and the types of shops that they would frequent. It's more of a downtown area. There are also a few parks nearby and even a sportsplex with an indoor pool and an ice-skating rink. Both are open to the public for a small fee. Some venues have street parking and others have small parking lots. You will probably have to pay to park at a hotel here. In general, its a nice, pretty, if busy area. I'm not sure how much I'd try walking around it. You can definately walk around sections of it at a time, but I don't think I'd try walking everywhere. There are some major roads with heavy traffic in the area. It's about 20 minutes to Opryland from here.

Airport Area:

This one is a little trickier. I'd stay away from anything near the airport down I-24. You don't want to be anywhere near Antioch. Off of I-40 is different. You should be fine at the Donelson exit across from the airport, but it's just not very nice. It's kind of an older more run down area. Not many great food options there either. We usually eat at Shoney's when in that area, so that tells you something. But it's pretty much a straight shot up Briley Pky to Opryland from here, so that's a plus, about 10 minutes.

Farther down I-40, you've got the Mt Juliet exit which has really grown up in just the last couple of years. There are a variety of chain restaurants and an outdoor Avenue mall among a Kroger and some other shops. This is a pretty safe and nice exit in terms of restaurants and shopping. There is even a redbox at the Kroger, so you can rent movies if you want. It's your basic suburb shopping area, though. If you are looking for something more unique, I'd go with Vanderbuilt. I like this exit because it's almost halfway to Lebanon, and I like to go to the outlets there to shop. You would be about the same distance from Opryland here as in Vanderbilt, about 20 minutes, but you could avoid downtown traffic and parking should be free here. You would be able to walk to a restaurant directly beside your hotel, but would need to drive otherwise.

Opland area:

This is a very very small area. All the hotels except the Opry hotel are pretty much along the same street, so location between the different ones really makes no difference. They are basically your standard hotels, and the area is not really great or bad. It's an older area, but doesn't really show it. There are a few gas stations, restaurants, a mall, and a movie theater/ Imax theater here, but that is all. No grocery stores or anything. Parking should be free here except at the Opryland hotel which charges. People walk around here, but I don't really see the point.Traffic is only bad at Christmas, and you can't really get lost driving around as there are only about 4 main roads in this area. If I was only staying a night or two and didn't plan on leaving this area, I'd definately stay here. But if you plan on venturing out into other areas of the city, Venderbilt will be closer. The mall is nice, the Opry hotel is beautiful especially at Christmas, and I'm a big fan of the Cock-of- the Walk restaurant, but that's about all there is here (the Opry, shopping, movies, and a handful of restaurants). Also, at Christmas it can be a huge pain to get to this area, almost impossible, and every year I swear I won't do it again and then I always do. The rest of the year the drive is not bad.

If you think you may want to visit a lot of other places around town I'd stay in the Venderbilt/West End area. It's more centrally located, and offers more options in terms of food, shopping, and entertainment. You could walk or drive depending, and you'd be close to everything downtown, and just off the loop to get everywhere else. Just watch out for rush hour.

Hope this helps some.

Edited: 25 May 2012, 03:03
Virginia
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which area?

Thank you SO much for the advice! This has really helped me settle on the Vanderbilt location!

Kentucky
Level Contributor
144 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which area?

Definitely the Vanderbilt area. Some of the airport areas are sketchy in my opinion. Vanderbilt is very close to downtown, fabulous restaurants and attractions. What you are missing by not staying in Opry Mills or airport area is pretty much...Opry Mills (the mall) and the Grand Ole Opry. I think there is so much more to do and see downtown. Have a great trip!

5. Re: Which area?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 10:42