We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nashville vs Memphis

Montreal, Quebec
Level Contributor
323 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Nashville vs Memphis

Hi, I'm planning on flying to New Orleans with my girlfriend and two others and then driving to either Memphis or Nashville. We're 4 25 year olds who love food (BBQ especially, can't really get it where we're from), and love a good beer at a bar/pub and some live music is always great. We're trying to decide between Memphis and Nashville. Can anyone tell me what the big differences are between the cities? How the bar scene, music etc is different? We're not too big on museums & history but love tkaing in the local culture..can anyone give me some advice without trying to be too biased?

thanks !

Nashville, TN
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
2,720 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nashville vs Memphis

I hope you have posted on the Memphis forum too...

I would vote Nashville, because it provides a nice counter to New Orleans. Nashville is kind of having a "moment" these days. Lots of great media attention (New York Times, GQ, etc.) for dining, shopping and a music scene that stretches far beyond country.

East Nashville, the Vanderbilt area and the tourist zone downtown all offer great opportunities to hear live music, eat great food and be a part of a very vibrant scene. Safe city, lots of great dining (although I am rather impressed with Memphis' restaurant scene these days), so much musical talent to take in.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
170 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nashville vs Memphis

I think Nashville has the edge overall (again, recognizing my bias). The food scene here is really getting a lot of national recognition as nashpam mentioned. But as far as BBQ goes, Memphis is much more well-known for that than we are...but Martin's BBQ in Nolensville (south of Nashville) would be a great spot to get West TN style BBQ here in Nashville AND see a place that has been featured in a number of national news/food outlets.

Memphis' music scene is very good. Beale St. is a fun touristy experience for sure. Nashville's closest counterpart is Broadway and 2nd Avenue...which is close but not quite as good as Beale in my opinion. However, Nashville has lots of other music-rich areas than Broadway, such as East Nashville, West End/Hillsboro Village, etc. Lots of diversity too...not just country music.

If you're beer folks, be sure to stop by the Yazoo Taproom in the Gulch area (just south of downtown). It is a local brewery that is really starting to catch on regionally. There is also the Flying Saucer at the back of the historic Union Station Hotel with a great beer selection. The Beer Cellar off of 2nd is a dive with great selection in the tourist district. I'd also recommend you seek out the Family Wash in East Nashville. It's a local place for sure, but you'll be rewarded with great food, great music, and a great beer selection. Just don't tell anyone else about it.

So I guess it depends on what you want. Both cities are great, but I'm biased towards Nashville.

Nashville, TN
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
2,720 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nashville vs Memphis

http://spotcrime.com/tn/nashville/downtown

http://spotcrime.com/tn/memphis/downtown

When discussing these two cities, crime is bound to come up. Check these links out for the real story.

BTW, try Hog Heaven BBQ on the edge of Centennial Park. Chicken or turkey with white sauce is like nothing you've ever tried.

US
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
3,181 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nashville vs Memphis

I've grown fond of Edley's, the new kid on the block, for BBQ. I give equal love to B&C, either the farmers' market location or the one in Melrose. Not only are the smoked meats good, but both do excellent sides that aren't your run-of-the-mill you see in most BBQ joints. I've done a full review of Edley's on my blog, and have also mentioned B&C. Need to do a real review of B&C ...

As for Nashville vs Memphis ... yeah, it's a contentious topic, everyone has a bias. But as NashPam said, Nashville will give you a nice contrast to NO. Plus, as also mentioned, the food/drink scene here is awesome. Yeah, do the Lower Broadway tourist strip one night, but there are so many other areas with great food & drink & nightlife, you could spend a couple of weeks here and not hit them all. There's tons of music OTHER than country, and the bar scene is anything from super-casual to upscale and cosmopolitan. Are you looking for beer joints, craft cocktails, wine, or what?

Montreal, Quebec
Level Contributor
323 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nashville vs Memphis

awesome help, thanks everyone. Going to be hard to decide between Memphis BBQ vs Nashville nightlife

Ferrell, we're definitely not looking for upscale bars. We love drinking locals beers and catching local bar bands, whether country or rock or blues. If you can make any suggestions (Family Wash does sound great) for places that have youngish (again, we're all 25) crowds that'd be great.

Also, we may want to go out one night to a nice fancy dinner...any restaurant suggestions? High end is good, any suggestions are welcome.

thanks guys!

US
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
3,181 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nashville vs Memphis

For dinner, go to City House, thank me later.

Whether food or liquor or beer, "local" is big here these days. Whether you hit up a dive or someplace so-called upscale or something in between, if you choose well, local isn't an issue.

The trick can sometimes be combining music with truly excellent food/drink. Lots of places have music (again, of all types, not just country) and OK food, and lots of places have great food and beverages. Few places combine the two. Family Wash does have both. 12 South Taproom has a great beer selection, decent food, and sometimes has music. For music, look at Bluebird Cafe & 3rd and Lindley. Go somewhere to eat, catch a show. Other good bars: 308, Patterson House, Whiskey Kitchen. The aforementioned Edley's is also a good bar in addition to BBQ.

This blog post is restaurant-centric, but contained in it are links to national/international articles published recently about Nashville that you might find of interest. nashvillescene.com/bites/archives/2012/06/26…

Edited: 29 June 2012, 03:02
Montreal, Quebec
Level Contributor
323 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nashville vs Memphis

thanks again ferrell, you guys have been wicked helpful

8. Re: Nashville vs Memphis

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 July 2013, 23:45