We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nashville to smoky mountains

Zakopane, Poland
Level Contributor
445 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Nashville to smoky mountains

Does anyone know how long the drive is from Nashville to smoky mountains? We love nature, activities, the scenic views..aside from city. Suggest any ideas? We plan to drive from Chicago to Nashville over labor day weekend

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
823 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nashville to smoky mountains

In normal traffic it is about 3.5 hours. The exit to the smokies from I-40 does tend to really back up especially during a holiday like labor day.

Spring Hill...
Level Contributor
245 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nashville to smoky mountains

I would plan on 4 hours to allow for drive time, minor traffic slowdowns and at least one pit stop along the way! Once you exit for Sevierville it will take you possibly another 30-minutes to an hour to navigate to the National Park. A more scenic route would be the drive through Townsend into the National Park. This route will take you on Hwy 321 through Lenoir City, Maryville and then on the Parkway into Townsend and the Park. Maybe a little longer trip, but worth the time and wonderful sights!!

Central Illinois
Level Contributor
353 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nashville to smoky mountains

Also, keep in mind that you will go from CST to EST along the way

Townsend, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Townsend, Great Smoky Mountains National Park
Level Contributor
963 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nashville to smoky mountains

Just wanted to second TNDALE's recommendation for the 321/Townsend route. You will avoid downtown Knoxville traffic and much of the traffic along the PigeonForge/Gatlinburg Parkway (off of I-40, exit 407). As you travel east on I-40 and just before Knoxville, take I-75 south for about 3 miles until you reach exit 81 Lenoir City/Smoky Mountains/321. Stay on 321 through Lenoir City and Maryville to Townsend - then either head through the GSMNP to Gatlinburg on River Road ~ 18 miles, or take a left at the only red light in Townsend ~ 15 miles to traffic light # 3 in Pigeon Forge. Or of course you could just stay in Townsend!

Zakopane, Poland
Level Contributor
445 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nashville to smoky mountains

Thank you!!!!

6. Re: Nashville to smoky mountains

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 August 2013, 07:15
Get answers to your questions about Nashville