We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nashville 50th bday trip - must see and what to avoid

Detroit, Michigan...
Level Contributor
9 posts
120 reviews
Save Topic
Nashville 50th bday trip - must see and what to avoid

We're flying down from Detroit to celebrate my sis-in-law's 50th birthday. They are 2 couples with us, 40 y.o. We're staying right downtown at hotel. We'll be there from Thursday to Sunday in early Nov.

What are your suggestions of things to do and see? We like newer country music some good eats (adventurous but must be clean places) and live music and bars too. We look forward to walking around downtown too. What should we avoid doing? (Anything too touristy and not worth our time)

Thanks.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
10,309 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nashville 50th bday trip - must see and what to avoid

We liked: Country Music Museum & Hall of Fame, Ryman Auditorium, Grand Ole Opry show (and backstage tour--book that in advance), Parthenon, Bicentennial Park, Tennessee State Museum, Hermitage, Cheekwood, Frist Center for the Visual Arts.

Madison, AL
Level Contributor
406 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nashville 50th bday trip - must see and what to avoid

I agree everything Andee suggested, but also you might want to go to the Opryland Hotel, beautiful hotel to walk around, you don't have to stay there and you can park over at Opry Mills and walk (maybe a 10 minute walk), so you don't have to pay to park. There are some great restaurants in the downtown area, look at the right of your screen for the top questions of Nashville. Also if you want to ventured into some great country cooking, Loveless Cafe is good (but more of a tourist thing) and Monell's is good too!

We also like Tommy's tours, some mixed reviews on this, but we enjoyed it!

Spring Hill...
Level Contributor
245 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nashville 50th bday trip - must see and what to avoid

A walk up and down Lower Broadway will be an excellent adventure in both wonderful attractions and the cheesiest of shops/bars/restaurants!

Must visits or at least Must See downtown and Lower Broad

-Hatch Showprints

-Tootsies Orchid Lounge(at night!)

-The Ryman

-Robert's Western Wear

-2nd Ave

-Country Music Hall of Fame

Also you may want to consider the following for meals in the greater downtown area:

-Monell's

-Spaghetti Factory

-Mad Platter

-The Standard

-Chuy's

These are some ideas to get you started!

Have a wonderful visit!!

US
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
3,162 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nashville 50th bday trip - must see and what to avoid

Spaghetti Factory is a chain & I have fond memories from my college days but it saw its best days 20 yrs ago. Chuy's is also a chain, albeit pretty good, but is in the Vanderbilt/midtown area, not downtown. Agree that Mad Platter & Monell's Djust north of downtown) are wothwhile. Also in that neighborhood are Germantown Cafe (great view of downtown), City House, Silo are terrific and

All the restaurants in that core downtown tourist area are ok at best, not great.

A good BBQ choice nearish to downtown is Edley's in 12South. That neighborhood is fun for exploring and a lot more local than tourist. Same with Hillsboro Village. Other great restaurants to be had in East Nashville, Belmont areas.

Boston...
Level Contributor
393 posts
282 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nashville 50th bday trip - must see and what to avoid

This info is great. The more info the better!!!

Anyone know of a few places that are consistently awesome MUST DO restaurants for Southern/Soul Food/Home Cookin/BBQ?

US
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
3,162 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nashville 50th bday trip - must see and what to avoid

There is a lot to choose from and there is no universally agreed-on "must do". Better to tell us what part of town you are interested in / how far out from center of town you are willing to go ... Also are you looking for lunch or dinner or both (some commonly recommended places only do lunch) ... Traditional Southern like grandma / great grandma made, or the newer waves of southern food ... Etc.

If you have limited time / transportation hitting the already-mentioned Edley's (or B&C in the Farmer's Market), Monnell's, & The Standard would be representative.

Boston...
Level Contributor
393 posts
282 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nashville 50th bday trip - must see and what to avoid

Ok, I think Edley's and Monnell's are on the list.

In another direction, we are leaning for (and have made a reservation for) Sunday Supper at City House...

Now we need to narrow down the clubs, but I am leaning towards Roberts Western World for some Brazilbilly, checking out Layla's and Tootsie's and maybe 5 spot on Sunday night after dinner.

Country Music HOF & Museum and The Ryman are the two things were going to try and see (along w/the city and maybe the park)... We are there basically 48 hours...with 3 lunches, 2 dinners and 2 breakfasts-but one of those will be skipped in favor of an early lunch (Arnold's) on Monday...I know were not going to get to everything, but we sure are going to try like hell.

Nashville, TN
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
2,713 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nashville 50th bday trip - must see and what to avoid

Sounds like you have a good plan, Troy.

Go with the flow on the music -- most places have no cover, the bands play for tips. If you like what you hear form the street, check it out.

If you find yourself at Centennial Park at lunchtime, go to Hog Heaven and get the turkey with white sauce. Like nothing you've ever had before.

I haven't been, but I hear that the Farmer's Market has some good pop up restaurants on Sunday morning. Chefs from local places that aren't open for brunch show up and serve.

Boston...
Level Contributor
393 posts
282 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Nashville 50th bday trip - must see and what to avoid

Thank you!!! Def. going to add the farmers market to the plan. Love stuff like that!!!

Ps-You just made me go from "I could eat" to starving :D

Detroit, Michigan...
Level Contributor
9 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Nashville 50th bday trip - must see and what to avoid

Hi everyone, thanks for posting. I also picked up the 2012 frommer's on Nashville from the library.

It seems that some of the good eats are near Vanderbilt U. Someone mentioned the scarcity of cabs available.

What is the best way to get from Downtown to V.Univ. and back? Also, is there a bus or tour that goes from downtown to Jack Daniel's distillery?

Mateo