We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Smaller music venues downtown

Which Nashville hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New Westminster...
Level Contributor
540 posts
251 reviews
Save Topic
Smaller music venues downtown

Visiting in March. Staying downtown. We'll probably go to Robert's during the day for some traditional music. Keeping an eye on who's coming to the Bluebird. The Opry doesn't appeal - too mass-oriented.

Would like to find a nice low-key place playing whatever - some alt-country would be good, maybe the next Robert Earl Keen, bluegrass, whatever. I know that it's hard to go wrong in Nashville music-wise.

We're early evening types, not night owls.

I'll look at the websites as they start to list March's performers but I won't know any of them anyway.

Are there some particularly friendly, not-a-big-deal places downtown that stand out?

Nashville, TN
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
2,704 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Smaller music venues downtown

Station Inn is stellar for bluegrass.

New Westminster...
Level Contributor
540 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Smaller music venues downtown

Thanks, Pam. A lot of the shows at the Station start at 9:00, but hey, nobody sleeps when there's bluegrass playing.

Spring Hill...
Level Contributor
245 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Smaller music venues downtown

3rd & Lindsley has shows during the week and on weekend that grownups can go to and still get home at a decent hour!!

Check the web site!!

Enjoy!

Tennessee Performing Arts Center and War Memorial Auditorium also have shows from time to time that are 'not your usual' arena shows!

US
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
3,015 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Smaller music venues downtown

Downtown is really a wander-in-and-out type of scene. You don't have to show up at a particular place at a particular time to go to a show. Just stroll down the street (Broadway between the river & about 5th Ave.) and pop in whereever strikes your fancy.

If you have a car and will be here on Wednesday, you might look into the Music City Roots show at the Loveless Barn on the west outskirts of town.

New Westminster...
Level Contributor
540 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Smaller music venues downtown

Thanks, TFerrell. I had suspected we could wander. Wish you hadn't mentioned the Loveless show; sounds great but we'll be in Memphis that day.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
1,062 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Smaller music venues downtown

Good choice to avoid the Opry. When it was in the Ryman it was a thing of beauty but is now just another plastic tourist attraction. I used to spend a lot of time in Nashville and enjoyed just wandering in and out of the various bars on Broadway. Roberts is one of the best. Layla's was also good. Tootsies relies on its reputation, but you can often get some great performers there.

Keep in mind that the performers in these venues are working for tips only. Please tip generously.

7. Re: Smaller music venues downtown

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 January 2014, 06:16