We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

April Girl's Trip

Which Nashville hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Upstate NY
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
April Girl's Trip

Planning a girl’s trip to Nashville at the end of April and am looking for some advice on some loose ends.

We’re staying at the Homewood Suites downtown and will not have a car, so mostly looking for things to do within walking distance. (Looks like it’s a good location so this shouldn’t be a problem??) Or we can take a taxi as well.

While we’d like to explore some of the sights, we don’t want to do a lot of touristy things – more about drinking, eating and shopping.

We’re wine and beer drinkers, so I don’t think the distillery tours will hit the spot but we’re thinking about the Nashville Pedal Tavern. Is a fun way to see the city and be outdoors, but laid back. Would you recommend?

Any advice on the shopping scene – are there any clothing or accessory boutiques within walking distance of our hotel on Church (Homewood Suites)? Not looking for mall shopping.

As far as the honky tonks, I think we’ll hit up The Stage, Layla’s Bluegrass Inn or Legend’s Corner… any other suggestions by our hotel?

Are there any small plates/tapas restaurants? We love to try new things and taste test a bunch of different menu items so this type of restaurant is perfect! Otherwise, we want to check out Jack’s BBQ (or another BBQ must??) and Puckett’s. Any thoughts on the Flying Saucer Brewery?

Thanks in advance for the help!

US
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
2,967 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: April Girl's Trip

Not much in the way of non-tourist shopping downtown. Cab it to 12South, The Gulch, Hillsboro Village for boutiques. Also, The Mall at Green Hills isn't your average mall, might be worth a look. The surrounding area has some indy shops.

www.visitmusiccity.com/visitors/neighborhoods

Tons of excellent restaurants in town. Again, not much outstanding of interest to you that would be walking distance, but most a short cab ride. No restaurants that are exclusively small plate, but all the best restaurants do great apps. The BF and I also like tasting lots of things and we'll often order with the idea of sharing everything, even entrees. Look at: City House, Rolf & Daughters, Etch, blvd (http://blvdnashville.com), Suzy Wong's House of Yum, Lockeland Table, Margot, Eastland Cafe, Flyte, Cabana, Watermark. For more casual vibes, Edley's BBQ, M.L. Rose, 12South Tap Room. Also be aware that most of the local breweries have tap rooms & tours. Those that don't serve food often host food trucks. Yazoo, Fat Bottom, Jackalope, Calfkiller. Corsair Distillery also has a tap room that serves beer.

I'd do Edley's over Jack's, although Jack's is OK. Puckett's ... eh ... it's ok, but Arnold's or Monell's would be better. Flying Saucer is not a brewery but an ok bar/restaurant that has a ton of beers on tap. Cool location in the historic train station.

Edited: 29 March 2013, 17:09
Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
249 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: April Girl's Trip

Nashville isn't much of a walking city to be honest, but there are some areas that you might be able to walk to without TOO much of a problem.

First, I've heard GREAT things about the Pedal Tavern. I haven't done it personally but people seem to have a blast on it, so I don't think you can go wrong there!

As far as boutiques, you will need to head to the Gulch, Hillsboro Village, or 12 South like mentioned above. You COULD walk to the Gulch. Would I recommend that? No. Get a cab. Or you can take the bus that the Gulch runs between downtown and that area. Not sure how it works, just have a friend who lives there and is always taking that.

Honkytonks, DON'T miss Robert, and get there around 9:30 if you can. That's before it gets CRAZY packed, and it will get crazy packed. It's my favorite, and most locals would agree. But once you get to Broadway, you'll see that mostly ALL of the bars are near your hotel. You will have a hard time picking because there are just so many. And don't even go to 2nd avenue, because you'll just have more to choose from and it'll be too much lol. Besides 2nd avenue is MOSTLY new bars, and I haven't been to most of them.

Agreed, not a ton of restaurants that are tapas only, but I'll tell you my favs that are DOWNTOWN ONLY, which I don't think you'll have to venture out to hit a good restaurant; downtown has been getting some great restaurants as of lately!

-Etch (#1 - BEST dinner I've had in awhile. pricey though)

-Merchants

-The Southern

-Pub5 (new restaurant, owners of 12 South Taproom, yum!)

-Kayne Prime (#2 for me, but it's closer to the Gulch, you can walk but might wanna grab a cab)

-Capitol Grille (pricey, really nice though)

-The Palm (go as a last resort, not high on my list, though it's nice)

I really do enjoy Flying Saucer, but it's up the hill and usually I'm too lazy to walk there, so I grab a cab. I've walked up that hill too many times; I'm over it! :) that hill, BTW, starts at 5th and ends around 10th or so, just in case you're curious. I've done it in heels and it's not fun.

Have a great time; you'll love it!

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
249 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: April Girl's Trip

For Honkytonks above, I meant ROBERTS Western World. I wasn't very clear, sorry!

And also, use this website: www.nashvilleguru.com. It's my favorite for planning. :)

Kentucky
Level Contributor
144 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: April Girl's Trip

Check out the Gulch for food. You might like Whiskey Kitchen. Lots of fun bars downtown! You might want to check out Lonnie's In Printer's Alley (very close to your hotel) and also Bourbon Street Boogie and Blues--also very close. Paradise Park is across the street from The Stage, Legend's Corner...etc... it's touristy but fun. As for for shopping, if you're not into mall shopping, check out Hillsboro Village--some cute shops and restaurants in the village Bosco's is great. Jackson's is one of my favorites and just around the corner is Cabana. You'll have a great time! Lots of great places in and around downtown!

PA
Level Contributor
12 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: April Girl's Trip

I was just with 5 other women for a long weekend trip to Nashville, and we all had a blast!

We did a little sightseeing, a little shopping, and a lot of eating and drinking!

We did the Pedal Tavern and had a really great time. Something very different so we all wanted to try it. We brought snacks and also some beer. You do stop at bars along the tour, but it was nice to have our own drinks while we were pedalling.

Have a fantastic trip!

Upstate NY
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: April Girl's Trip

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and feedback! Can't wait to experience Nashville.

7. Re: April Girl's Trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 April 2014, 06:16