We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nashville area water activities

Chapel Hill
1 post
Save Topic
Nashville area water activities

Considering a move to Nashville soon. I'm interested in learning about the area, but haven't found out much about water activities. I'm used to the ocean, so it's a bit of a change. Are there a fair number of rivers and lakes which may be used for swimming? And are the available lakes and rivers murky or clear with a stone bottom? Thanks for your help!

Franklin, TN
Level Contributor
688 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nashville area water activities

Middle Tennesse has quite a few lakes. Percy Priest is closest, very active on weekends w/motor & sailboats. Also has Nashville Shores water park. You can access Percy Priest from either I-40 in Hermitage or I-24 near Smyrna. Not a clear lake, has a dam on the north side.

Also in Nashville is Old Hickory Lake, which feeds through the Cumberland River. Probably the dirtiest of the lakes.

There is Center Hill lake, about 60 miles east of Nashville. Nice, relatively quiet lake, some houseboats and waverunner rentals. Fairly clean lake. Nice weekend getaway.

Northeast of Nashville is Land Between the Lakes, about 50 miles out. Nice lake, lots of wildlife, could probably do some diving there.

As for rivers, Cumberland River runs through Nashville, Tennessee River is about 70 miles west. Tn River is fairly high barge traffic river.

For swimming, in order, I would say, Center Hill, LBL, Percy Priest, Old Hickory.

Good luck and welcome to Nashville.

2. Re: Nashville area water activities

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 August 2009, 18:18