We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nashville in late December - Snow

Which Nashville hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Lubbock, Texas
Level Contributor
22 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Nashville in late December - Snow

I am thinking about going to Nashville at the end of December through the New Year.

I am a little worried about snow... how was last year's weather that time of year? I know it's nothing to worry about or try to predict, but it is off-putting.

Thank you!

Music City, USA
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
2,676 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nashville in late December - Snow

Snow in December is not common. If we get any, it will likely be a light dusting that's gone from the roads in a few hours. Of course anything can happen.

Athens, Alabama
Level Contributor
3,853 posts
396 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nashville in late December - Snow

Actually snow in December in Nashville is common. Travel issues due to snow in December is short lived. Sleep late and you may never see it.

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/ohx/?n=monthlysnow

Nashville, TN
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
2,704 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nashville in late December - Snow

I remember one, maybe 2 white Christmases in Nashville in my 30+ years here. For the past 2 years, my kids have not had one snow day, and we LOVE to close schools at the sight of even a flake.

Snow should be low on your list of concerns.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
1,035 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nashville in late December - Snow

The snowfall records (dating to 1871) for Nashville for Dec 25 - Dec. 31 are as follows (source - www.srh.noaa.gov/ohx/?n=nashvillerecords ):

Dec. 25 - 2.7" in 1969

Dec. 26 - 1.5" in 1894

Dec. 27 - 2.5" in 1967

Dec. 28 - 1.1" in 1935

Dec. 29 - 1.5" in 1917

Dec. 30 - 1.8" in 1976

Dec. 31 - 5.8" in 1963

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nashville in late December - Snow

Sure its possible but we rarely get enough snow to do anything. most of our snow is gone a few hours after it falls. Now, probably just jinxed this and you'll be stuck here for days on end because we have a blizzard. But usually, we don't have much snow.

Ireland
Level Contributor
1,856 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nashville in late December - Snow

I was in Nashville very end of Jan/begining of Feb and there was one day when the schools were closed in Metro/Davidson county area's. Honest though, it was just a tiny cover, all gone by lunchtime. I was more than surprised that some of the schools were closed... my brother said it's due to the snow/ice, they don't allow the school buses to run? No snow when I was there December.

Nashville, TN
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
2,704 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nashville in late December - Snow

Public schools close at the first flake. The Metro Nashville system is a county-wide school system, so if one rural part has icy roads and a bus can't run, the whole county will close. Private schools, since parents drive their kids to and from school, are able to make more localized decisions.

8. Re: Nashville in late December - Snow

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 June 2014, 05:16