We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Couple of Opry questions

north west england
Level Contributor
2,701 posts
414 reviews
Save Topic
Couple of Opry questions

We're staying at the Hampton downtown. What's going to be the easiest way to get to the Opry - drive or taxi? I know taxi will be quite expensive but, on the other hand, I don't want to be driving through heavy city rush-hour traffic if that is what it's likely to be (we will have only arrived in the States the day before and may not have yet got accustomed to driving on the "wrong" side of the road)

Second question is about eats. Are there places to get an early dinner at/near the Opry or might we be better off waiting to eat back in town after the show?

TIA

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
832 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Couple of Opry questions

My first inclination would say drive because from your hotel to the Opry isn't alot of downtown driving. You will have about .5 mile drive until you get on the Interstate. However, Im not sure what your comfort level is driving on the Interstate. There is a mall a short walk from the Opry that has eating options. I would actually reccomend a place called Caney Fork Fish Camp which is right North of the Opry. If you want a little bit of a unique American meal you can find catfish, ribs, wild boar sausage, venison stew, and even gator bites at this place. Cool atsmosphere and a plethora of choices here.

Edited: 31 July 2013, 17:01
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
769 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Couple of Opry questions

Gator bites! Sounds awesome!!

naperville, illinois
Level Contributor
1,554 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Couple of Opry questions

I have asked the same question regarding where to eat prior to the Opry show.. two of the regular posters suggested these to me:

..... Chuy's (Mexican)

......Opry Backstage Grill (in the Inn at Opryland )

.....McNamara's (Irish Pub)

.....Suko Thai (Thai)

Others also suggest Caney Fork, Romano's Grill, Macaroni Grill,. etc (the later 2 are chain American restaurants)

As for driving vs taxi...... Driving might be easiest - do a google map or mapquest or bing map. And, since you are driving on the opposite side for you just allow enough extra time. I live in Chicago and rush hour here is madness vs what I would think Nashville has .... just add in time to drive, eat dinner prior to the show.

As one who has had to drive in Australia on the 'wrong side' of the road it took us about 15 minutes (driving straight out of Sydney CBD) to get the hang of it. But, then of course, our motto then was 'keep the ( ahem) to the ditch;.... and then it was easy!

Oh - and as others have suggested - you can always spend a bit of time looking around the Gaylord Resort Hotel - right by the Opry.... to kill time too!.

north west england
Level Contributor
2,701 posts
414 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Couple of Opry questions

Thanks to all.

Driving it is then. I'm fine on the highways - just get a little nervous in city traffic until I've got used to being on the right.

Gator bites? Now that's something you don't get in north west England. LOL.

Edited: 01 August 2013, 17:14
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
769 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Couple of Opry questions

HOw bad is Nashville traffic, say versus Houston or Los Angeles???

Music City, USA
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
3,218 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Couple of Opry questions

Much better than either of those. We're not anywhere close to the size of LA or Houston. My typical rush hour commute of over 25 miles adds about 5-8 minutes to the same drive done outside of rush hour. A crash or major construction can alter that, of course.

naperville, illinois
Level Contributor
1,554 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Couple of Opry questions

We can only dream of that here in Chicago-land! The other night it took my husband 35 minutes to go 6 miles---stop/go/stop again! He normally takes our commuter METRA to / from the city, but this day he had a meeting out beyond OHare...Where are our 'jet paks' like Fred Flintstone??

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
422 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Couple of Opry questions

Let me try to answer as a local - the taxi to Opryland should cost about $25 each way. Or you can drive - the traffic will depend on when you leave Hampton Inn Downtown. If it's weekday rush hour - it will be a hectic drive. If it's a weekend - you should have no traffic problems. There are places to eat around Opryland or at the mall. Music Valley Drive has a ton of restaurants at reasonable prices.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
769 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Couple of Opry questions

Coming from Toronto, this traffic will seem like child's play....

tamworth
Level Contributor
68 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Couple of Opry questions

Harters, not sure where you are from in the North West but we went over to Nashville last year. We had driven for 8 days before going to the Opry and would not have driven. Taxis are $25 each way from down town and I would not have coped with the roads. Nashville seems to have a ring road made up of interstates and you really needed to know where you were going, we went wrong coming out of Nashville even with the help of 'neverlost'. I am going back (just to Nashville this time) next year and we are not even going to bother hiring a car as the cost of 8 days hire vs the taxi fares of where we want to go just don't make sense, let alone taking into account the stress.