We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Challenging question....nashville in a day....

gulf shores
Level Contributor
46 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Challenging question....nashville in a day....

Hi! We are going to nashville next weekend to see tim & faith. i haven't been to nashville since i was like 5. My sister and i will get there saturday morning. The concert is at 8....questions are what should we do, where should we stay saturday night?

i need an area to pick at priceline of where the hotel is...and since it's just us two, needs to be a safe area. i guess it would be good to be close to the gaylord center, but i don't guess it really matters. will the gaylord be easy to find and get to? (i don't know where anything is!)

any particular place me and my 15 year old sister would love to eat at? any country singers have fun restaurants?....we love country music, wish we could stay longer! but can't, so are there any tours you can take, that will show you the main sites? opry, music row, etc....btw, what is music row? is it one particular street, is it offices, bars?

i assume the gaylor is downtown? how far is opryland, and the grand ole opry from there?

is the bluebird cafe the one in the movie 'the thing called love'?

thanks for any help!!! i know it's a lot!

would love to bump into a country singer while we're there! :)

Music City Rollin' Jamboree Tours
City Tours, Literary, Art & Music Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours
Joyride Nashville
City Tours, Bar, Club & Pub Tours, Beer Tastings & Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Party Porch Nashville
City Tours, Night Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Bus Tours
Gray Line Tours
Bus Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Hop-On Hop-Off Tours, Literary, Art & Music Tours, Sightseeing Tours
gulf shores
Level Contributor
46 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Challenging question....nashville in a day....

now that i've looked a little, it looks like staying in the opryland hotel area might be good..with a teenager. how far is that from the gaylord center, and music row?

are there hotels real close to the opryland hotel that we can stay in since it is probably booked or too expensive.

thanks

Daytona/Port Orange
Level Contributor
411 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Challenging question....nashville in a day....

i would stay downtown, or to save some money stay 1-2 miles away at west end/vanderbilt.

I would take the one hour tour from gray line...it leaves the hard rock cafe every hour...it shows you the main sites in the downtown area, including music row, which is a few streets that are all record companies, music publishers and music industry type companies.

The gaylord ent. center is easy to find...to see all the clubs etc. walk down broadway, then go up 2nd avenue, then turn left at hooters and go a block north and see printers alley.

Opryland is like 8-10 miles from downtown, i usually don't advise people to stay there cause of the distance but it could be ok for a daytrip.

The bluebird is in that movie, but i think they filmed those scenes in a recreated set in hollywood...i think i read that at imdb.com triva...but the lady is the real owner.

What is your price range? The holiday inn express downtown looks promising, it is a few blocks from everything and not too expenisve for one night. I think it is 110 which is about as cheap as you can get in downtown.

Memphis, Tennessee
Level Contributor
24 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Challenging question....nashville in a day....

I completely agree with John...I learned this the hard way. A couple of years ago I took my daughters to a concert at the Gaylord. I booked a room at a hotel in the Opryland area because I ASSUMED that since the Gaylord center shared the same name as the Gaylord Opryland hotel that they would be close to eachother. (Of course, you know what they say about people who assume things)

Anyway, save yourself a huge headache and listen to John. Stay downtown. My husband and I stayed at the Sheraton downtown on a separate trip two years ago and it was very nice. But since you are booking through priceline, just try and get downtown.

Oh, the next morning, if you are able, try to go to the Pancake Pantry for breakfast. It is in the Vanderbilt area on 21st Street, not far from downtown. BEST PANCAKES I'VE EVER HAD.

Have a safe trip!

Mentioned in this post
Pancake Pantry
Pancake Pantry
2,199 Reviews
Nashville, TN
Franklin, TN
Level Contributor
688 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Challenging question....nashville in a day....

With a 15 year old sister, the deeper into the night, the less her options of getting in someplace. After the show, walk up Broadway towards second Ave, left up 2nd. Plenty to see and listen to, even though she probably won't get in anywhere. If you have time before the show, try the Wildhorse Saloon on 2nd Ave. She should be able to get in there. Very touristy and county oriented.

As for seeing a country singer, Vince Gill loves the Pancake Pantry.

Music row is the business side of country music. recording studios, offices, etc. Ever since the County Music Hall of Fame moved downtown, nothing really touristy there anymore.

Good luck and welcome to Nashville.

Mentioned in this post
Wildhorse Saloon
Wildhorse Saloon
813 Reviews
Nashville, TN
Pancake Pantry
Pancake Pantry
2,199 Reviews
Nashville, TN
gulf shores
Level Contributor
46 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Challenging question....nashville in a day....

thanks for all the suggestions....after the show i'm sure we'll be ready to go back to the hotel and go to bed!

i've heard about that pancake pantry and was hoping we'd get to go when we're there, is it easy to find, and do they serve breakfast all day?

gulf shores
Level Contributor
46 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Challenging question....nashville in a day....

is the wildhorse saloon within reasonable walking distance of the gaylord ent. center? i see the ryman is right there close to the gec......any hotels in that area decently priced..and it is a safe neighborhood?

Reading, PA
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Challenging question....nashville in a day....

Wildhorse is a great stop, lot's of great entertainment.

You must make the drive out to the Loveless Cafe, best breakfast you will EVER have!

Mentioned in this post
The Loveless Cafe
The Loveless Cafe
5,154 Reviews
Nashville, TN
8. Re: Challenging question....nashville in a day....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 August 2009, 08:19