We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going to Nashville & Tennessee on my own...how friendly?

Which Nashville hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hastings, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Topic
Going to Nashville & Tennessee on my own...how friendly?

Hi everyone,

I am a 25 year old girl from England, I am travelling to Nashville and Memphis in July this year, I wondered how friendly the cities are as I will be on my own for the whole trip. If I go out to the bars/honky tonks, what's the likelyhood of me being able to chat to other people? Or do people like to stick to their own groups? The UK is pretty easy going for strangers/people on their own, so I just wondered if it were a similar thing here?

Thanks! :)

Music City, USA
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
2,761 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Going to Nashville & Tennessee on my own...how friendly?

The honky tonks and downtown in general is a party crowd. People are very friendly. You'll find the same in many of the casual restaurants. I've met lots of people by sharing a table with them in a crowded restaurant. We didn't get a reputation for Southern Hospitality for no reason.

Come on down. You'll love it here.

Green River, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
2,203 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Going to Nashville & Tennessee on my own...how friendly?

You will run into plenty of smiling and friendly faces throughout Nashville. Especially if you are staying downtown as Monkey said, most of those visitors are, just like you, looking for a fun getaway. Coming from a cold (in weather and disposition) northern U.S. city, I was always amazed at the kindness and extroverted niceties shown to me.

Edited: 14 February 2014, 17:19
Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Going to Nashville & Tennessee on my own...how friendly?

This is great news, as I am traveling out to Nashville alone as well. I am hoping for some of that "southern hospitality" like you wouldn't believe. I need to get away from the cold and chilly harshness of New York. Dear Lord, let everyone be what I imagine in my head. : )

US
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
3,045 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Going to Nashville & Tennessee on my own...how friendly?

Be careful about "what you imagine" because people outside the region love to heap stereotypes on southerners. Also, remember that there will be more out-of-towners than locals in the bars & honky-tonks in that central downtown zone. What I'm saying is that we -- and visitors -- tend to be friendly and welcoming to everyone, singletons or not. HOWEVER, be open to who we ARE and enjoy THAT, rather than going away disappointed because we maybe didn't fit your TV- and movie-created image of what we are.

As a local, I often go out by myself. I have no qualms or problems sitting at a bar and ordering a drink or snack or dinner and people-watching, or chatting with other patrons. That's true not only of the tourist spots but the local spots as well. I would urge any visitor to spend at least some time outside of the tourist zone and enjoy music and interesting restaurants and bars that are all over the city. If your impression of Nashville is only those few square blocks along lower Broadway, you are only seeing a certain tourist-centric facet of the true coolness and culture that can be found here.

Lakeland, TN
Destination Expert
for Tennessee, Memphis
Level Contributor
2,849 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Going to Nashville & Tennessee on my own...how friendly?

When visiting Nashville I've always had the experience of meeting and chatting with locals easily both at lunch or in a bar environment, particularly in a late afternoon happy hour setting. The same is known to be true in Memphis. Caution might be advised as was stated above in the more heavily tourist or out of town visitors' haunts later in the evenings as alcohol drives the encounters. On Thursday afternoons during the time of your visit Memphis Peabody Hotel hosts Sunset Rooftop Parties each week at 6:00pm with good live bands and up to 2,000 locals and visitors mixing it up. That might be a good place to mix and meet people without standing out.

Brentwood, Tennessee
Level Contributor
12 posts
365 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Going to Nashville & Tennessee on my own...how friendly?

I can't speak for Memphis, but in general Nashville is not quite as easy going as the UK is but if you smile and are friendly then the locals and many tourists can be downright chatty with you. There are many in your age group at the bars downtown so you should have no problem meeting others! Good luck with your trip planning!

Cranford, New Jersey
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Going to Nashville & Tennessee on my own...how friendly?

I'd like to know how traveling to Nashville alone was? I am thinking about doing the same thing. Came across your post with a google

Search.

Louisiana
Level Contributor
76 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Going to Nashville & Tennessee on my own...how friendly?

Traveled there solo (50 something female) a few weeks ago. Stayed in Opryland area hotel and drove downtown each day. Drive was easy with little traffic. Parked at library for $10 per day. Didn't stay downtown after dark but never felt uneasy during the day. Everyone was very friendly. Recommend the Nash Trash tour and the Bites and Sites tour. Lots of fun.

6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Going to Nashville & Tennessee on my own...how friendly?

When in July will you be in Nashville? My friend and I will be there starting the 11th. If you want, you could tag along with us if you don't want to be by yourself some days! We're both 29.

Julie

Edited: 09 July 2014, 16:27
Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Mountains
Level Contributor
7,370 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Going to Nashville & Tennessee on my own...how friendly?

It is a shame you are not including Chattanooga. The eastern area of the state is beautiful and Chattanooga is a very welcoming city.

www.chattanoogafun.com