We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

solo female traveler - where to go?

Which Nashville hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Calgary
Level Contributor
70 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
solo female traveler - where to go?

I'll be in Nashville for a conference in mid November and staying at the Renaissance Hotel near convention center. I don't want to miss out on seeing some great blues, jazz, country clubs but don't want to go to the "wrong" type of place either. Can anyone recommend where I can go for dinner/entertainment on my own and still be okay.

Nashville
Level Contributor
82 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: solo female traveler - where to go?

There's not much blues and jazz going on in Nashvegas (although I'm not plugged into that scene), but Nashville is a fairly safe place - if you stick to the better-known places, it's highly unlikely you'll end up in the "wrong" kind of place.

If you're in the downtown area, lower Broadway is safe and awash with people on the weekends and in the evenings (unless it's raining) - 2nd Ave. seems to be kind of the party mile, but you still shouldn't run into any real problems.

East Nashville is purportedly the "dangerous" part of town, but it's fairly safe IF you know where to go and where not to go - just keep an eye out there. People are friendly, so it's fine to ask.

If you're into blues and jazz, I don't know how much of that might be going on in North Nashville - that IS an area you'd want to be very careful in (Jefferson Street area), but I really can't say if there's much of that going on.

If you're a Nashville first-timer, do go ahead and go to an Opry show - I think they've moved it back to the Ryman for the winter by now, which is just around the corner from your hotel and really a nice experience if you're into country music at all.

Have fun!

Nashville
Level Contributor
82 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: solo female traveler - where to go?

There's not much blues and jazz going on in Nashvegas (although I'm not plugged into that scene), but Nashville is a fairly safe place - if you stick to the better-known places, it's highly unlikely you'll end up in the "wrong" kind of place.

If you're in the downtown area, lower Broadway is safe and awash with people on the weekends and in the evenings (unless it's raining) - 2nd Ave. seems to be kind of the party mile, but you still shouldn't run into any real problems.

East Nashville is purportedly the "dangerous" part of town, but it's fairly safe IF you know where to go and where not to go - just keep an eye out there. People are friendly, so it's fine to ask.

If you're into blues and jazz, I don't know how much of that might be going on in North Nashville - that IS an area you'd want to be very careful in (Jefferson Street area), but I really can't say if there's much of that going on.

If you're a Nashville first-timer, do go ahead and go to an Opry show - I think they've moved it back to the Ryman for the winter by now, which is just around the corner from your hotel and really a nice experience if you're into country music at all.

Have fun!

Franklin, TN
Level Contributor
688 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: solo female traveler - where to go?

From the Renaissance, just head down Broadway towards the river and go up 2nd Ave. Plenty of clubs of all kinds of music. Wildhorse saloon for country, BBKings for Blues, assorted other varieties (honkey tonks, etc). It is all within walking distance, or a very short cab ride. You should be fine.

Good luck and welcome to Nashville.

4. Re: solo female traveler - where to go?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2009, 13:20