We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Visit to Nashville

N. Wales U.K.
6 posts
Save Topic
First Visit to Nashville

Hello Nashville !

Have been browsing Trip Advisor and noting, with interest, the various Q & A's relating to the City and it's amenities etc.

My partner and I will be visiting late March -early April. Flight booked and, for better or worse (?) also Hotel - Guest House Inn & Suites in Vanderbilt area. Would appreciate any comments about same and the surrounding area.

As replies to various topics have already touched on, I have already spent many hours surfing and browsing for local info relating to all areas of interest in and around the City. I am still not sure whether more is less or vice versa between the "must go - must see - must do" and the various cautionary comments made in respect of certain areas and activities etc

As mentioned in other postings made by fellow Forumers, we intend to visit Memphis (couldn't travel this far and not !) either by Greyhound or rental car. Have any of you, or friends you know, done the trip by either means ? Noted comment by "jlsk" that the Comfort Inn do or will be running a trip there - could he/she confirm if that was for their Hotel residents only ?

The Greyhound arrangements seem pretty straight forward and would fit in well as we intend staying a couple of nights at the Peabody (my partner is into Ducks !) Has "volrichard" any further suggestions relating to his comment about the Greyhound Station?

Item last is a request for any suggestions as to known local car rental companies - comparative prices apart, the main stumbling block in this area seems to be that of insurance cover etc.

Also, is driving in the city really such a nightmare in line with comments seen on a variety of sites?

I suppose only time will fully answer all these and other questions on reflection post the vacation.

Thanks in advance to anyone who might have the time to offer any advice,

Best wishes to all.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,539 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Visit to Nashville

Hi Oldmuso

We are going to Nashville late April/may

We have travelled quite a lot around the south and have been to Memphis 4 or 5 times.

We normally hire from Enterprise, they pick us up at the hotel in Atlanta and we get the car and off we go. Of course the same applies going back, we take the car back and they return us to our hotel ready for flying back home.

You would have to check where the nearest office is but I'm sure they will oblige you. www.enterprise.com

Have you driven in the states before?, if not, don't worry, it is a lot easier than here in the U.K even Llandudno!!

I guess you could get a greyhound to Memphis but although most attractions are downtown. If you want to go to Graceland. Graceland is about 10 miles outside downtown so you would have to get a cab ($20-30) I would not suggest public transport like buses.

We are going to Nashville for the first time this year so I will watch with interest what idea's you get from other posters.

As far as Memphis is concerned, I can help with more advice if you want it.

Hope that has been some help but of course you really need the local Nashville expert who can advise you more.

Good luck with your trip.

San Juan del Sur...
Level Contributor
171 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: First Visit to Nashville

I wouldn't say the traffic is all that bad but can be frustrating for someone who isn't familiar with the roads do to all the road construction. As far as companies that do both Nashville and Memphis there are none, sorry. Unless you could get a bunch of people together and charter a bus your best bets are rental car or greyhound. The good things is Memphis isn't more than 2.5 -3hrs from Nashville. While there I would rec ride the ducks, mudd island and the restaurants on beal street hard to pick a bad one. In Nashville, my personal rec. is Gray lIne tours they do it all from tours of Nashville, Jack Daniels to the Grand Ole Opry. They even have packages together for visitor to buy. I ersonally would stay clear of that particular hotel but the guest House Inn Opryland area would be my choice for that property. If you are wanting to stay downtown may I suggest the Sheraton, Holiday Inn Express my pick. It is an updated hotel with breakfast, granite countertops and is just a great motel and good location to everything. Personally 2 -3 days in Nashville tops. March, April is when General jackson starts running again and tuesday opry starts back but not a whole lot else. Alothough for nashville's 200 years there are festivals going on downtown. i highly rec checking musiccitytours for some great tours and info. Hope this helps

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,539 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Visit to Nashville

hi tavelswithdog

We are also making our first trip to Nashville in april/may.

We are well traveled in the south, Atlanta, Memphis, Mississippi etc...so pretty much know our way around and I don't find driving a problem.

We are thinking of staying at the Best Western music row, could I ask what you think of this location.

Also, like most people, music is the thing, what sort of choice would we have during our time in town. Will it be closed season or will there be a lot of choice for shows etc...

Also, like Memphis, we know where to go and where to steer clear of, what are the neighborhoods like in Nashville.

I would like to go to studio B, do you know anything about that location.

I would be very grateful for your views and opinions.

Moviemaker

San Juan del Sur...
Level Contributor
171 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: First Visit to Nashville

Personally I would stay clear of that hotel try the Holiday Inn Express downtown. The property is recently renovated,continental breakfast, granite counters and is the largest Holiday Inn Express in the country plus it is in the same price range as the Best Western.

Entertainment can beat Broadway the famous Honky Tonks are located there and check out printers alley. One neat fact printers alley still has the balconies on the buildings from when Nashville was a red light district. It is the only place you will see these balconies because they are down this alley. You may even check out the wildhorse saloon there is usually live entertainment there and is a hot tourist spot. Studio B actually has tours that leave from the CMHOF. It def has changed alot through the years but is always worth checking out, The area is Music Row and is now home to alot of record companies and radio stations. Reba McIntire has a building there.

South Florida
Level Contributor
272 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First Visit to Nashville

I would also recomend the Courtyard Marriott not far from the Best Western but I felt very comfortable there.

Franklin, TN
Level Contributor
688 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First Visit to Nashville

Pretty much anything in the Vanderbilt area is going to be fine. College and business. Close to downtown, little bit to the interstate, but not a big deal. Guest House I&S is 1 block off West End Ave, which is the main road in and out of Nashville. You will be within walking distance of all sorts of restaurants, from fast food to fine dining.

As for precautions in certain areas of town, none of the attractions are in questionable area. For the most part, downtown is very safe at night.

As for your trip to Memphis, if you have a taxi drop you off at the Nasvhille bus station, get on your bus and go to Memphis, you should be fine. You will see your share of homeless around there (the Union Mission is close), however the Federal Building, large church, are also close. If someone approaches you and asks for money, politely say 'no thanks' and they will more than likely leave you alone. Like anywhere, just use common sense, be aware of your surroundings. You should be fine. I would do it.

I drive this route a couple of times per month. Fairly straight forward, easy drive. 200 miles down interstate 40 west. Not too difficult to get to Graceland. For your stay at the Peabody, being downtown, parking can be a little difficult and will probably run you $8-$12 per day.

As for the bus, it is only a 4 hour trip by the timetable, which is not bad for a bus going 200 miles.

Driving in Nashville is not that bad....tremendous progress has been made on the interstates in the last couple of months. The usual rush hour traffic but nothing that won't be totally rediculous. (Just remember, we drive on the right, here).

As for rental car companies, if you can stay away from renting at the airport, that will save you quite a bit of money (less taxes). As for the insurance, check with your auto insurance to see if they cover car rentals outside of the country. If they do, bring documentation and don't get the insurance here.

Good luck and i'll keep checking to see if you have any other questions.

St. Augustine...
Destination Expert
for Jacksonville, Saint Augustine Beach
Level Contributor
1,176 posts
356 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First Visit to Nashville

Hi there! Glad you are traveling here!

Guest House Inn & Suites is really not that bad. We booked this hotel a couple of years ago b/c during the holidays everything is sold out and we were having a holiday party downtown needed a hotel room for the night.

I liked this location b/c like a previous post you are close to many restaurants. The hotel even shuttled us downtown for no extra charge...not sure if they still do but I thought that was great. Althought this is not the BEST hotel to stay at you will be fine. I go to church right across the street from there and I think its a great area with Vanderbilt University right there. Plus plenty of great bars to go to at night that aren't too far away.

I've been to Memphis but I'm not an expert for that city except to say that I'm a Rum Boogie Cafe fan and a Peabody Hotel fan love those to places.

I would be happy to give you any other advise if you have other places you know you are going to do. Thanks!

Lancashire England
Level Contributor
212 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First Visit to Nashville

In Reply to Moviemaker,

I am also from the UK and have been put off by reports that the car rental firms in the USA add on insurance after insurance, so bumping up the cost. So last year decided to book the car with airline-network in the UK and all insurances were in.

Do you recommend Enterprise? They seem cheaper until you add all the extras.

Thanks,

Les

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,539 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First Visit to Nashville

Hi Les

Yes we have used Enterprise everytime. I know what you mean about the insurance though.

The thing is if you go on the Enterprise website, you can first, pick your car, it will tell you the daily cost and how much for the week/2 weeks whatever. It also tells you the daily insurance rates and local taxes.

The bottom line is that you can see before you book how much it will cost more or less. We always take out the CDW (collision damage waiver) that is the most expensive insurance but it means whatever happens, you are not liable. We were driving down to Atlanta a couple of years back on Interstate 75 and a large piece of rubber flew right into the car and damaged the radiator. Because we had took out CDW we were not liable.

I think the bottom line is, you pays your money and takes your choice.

If we did not take out CDW our total bill for a car for two weeks from Enterprise would be about $150 cheaper.

But for the piece of mind, it's worth the money.

That's my thoughts, what do you think.

Lancashire England
Level Contributor
212 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First Visit to Nashville

Hi Again Moviemaker,

I have checked out Enterprise, but even with just CDW added, they work out more expensive than Airline-Network (who I used last year on a tour of the Western States) A-N say that they have CDW already in their insurance, but I'll never know unless I have to make a claim :(

One thing that I really enjoyed about the "intermediate car" (Toyota Sebing) was the cruise control, I just hope this years car has it.

Les