We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Time

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
482 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
First Time

I'm planning a trip to PF with my 5 and 4 yo. We'd like to come when it's warm enough to swim but not smoldering. Any suggestions as to when?

Also looking for resort recommendations (don't want a cabin). I'm looking for something clean and updated, closer to 4 star with on-site coffee shop and restaurant. Any help would be appreciated.

26 replies to this topic
Centerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
14,229 posts
3,232 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Time

We recommend March through first week of May.

Read

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g55270-Pi…

for a hotel selection and especially for pools.

Sevier County consists of Sevierville, Pigeon Forge, and Gatlinburg - and other nearby small towns.

The GSMNP and Sevier County are world class destinations; locals and tourists are great to talk with, and expect this area to be very safe and user friendly.

Centerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
14,229 posts
3,232 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Time

We bet this will not be your last trip to GSMNP - Some 10 million+ plus tourist make the GSMNP the # 1 visited National Park in the US

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
43,624 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Time

Make that 11 million now as 2016 topped that visitation mark.

I would suggest mid May for a visit as this won't quite be peak summer temps, crowds, nor prices.

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
482 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Time

I was tossing around May, thanks! Any ideas for hotels? I'm really liking Dolly's Dream More Resort. Is it a true 4 star room wise? Kid-friendly?

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
43,624 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First Time

Too rich for my blood to know about Dream More as it's very expensive.

Might want to check Music Road hotel and inn as they have a small outdoor water park on the property and won't be near as expensive as Dream More.

Savannah, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg, Maggie Valley, Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
3,804 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First Time

I can second Music Road Inn. It's a well-kept hotel, and reasonably priced. And yes, at least May, if you want to swim. Enjoy your planning!

Sugar Land, Texas
Level Contributor
2,323 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First Time

Dollys Dreammore Resort is a great idea. Be sure to plan your trip on days when Dollywood is open. They have shuttle service and other perks for Dollywood. Your children may be too young for a lot of the rides though. Be sure to check out The Island. They do have several rides for young children. There is one or two hotels located at The Island but I am unsure if they have indoor pools.

Have fun

Bedford, Indiana
Level Contributor
6,276 posts
317 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First Time

Music Road Resort HOTEL is our go to for PF.

Great hotel, lots of amenities, coffee in the lobby all day adjacent to the large patio overlooking the Pigeon river (more like a stream).

If you are thinking about the DreamMore, a fantastic resort, but as noted, very pricey, consider joining their Premier Founders club. You get one free night with a paid night, one free park entrance to Dollywood or Splash Country, free shuttle to and from the parks and front of the lines access to rides and shows.

This reduces the overall cost and is very handy, saving time and parking expense.

Grove City, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,670 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First Time

Most of the hotels in Pigeon Forge don't have true restaurants attached to them because their are so many great places in town. If you're looking for a four star experience, try The Inn at Christmas Place. It has an amazing breakfast with a chef on-site. They have an indoor pool as well as an outdoor one. It's a little pricey, but worth the price, if you can swing it.

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
482 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First Time

Thanks everyone! For the time I'm going my room at Dream More would be $200 more (family Suite) than a 2 bedroom at Music. If the cost were the same which would you pick? We will probably do 1 day at Dollywood and one day at her water park as far as that goes. The prices for both places for 8 nights are very reasonable. We're coming off a 9 night trip to Disney so maybe it just seems reasonable, lol!

Reply to: First Time
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Pigeon Forge