We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report on Pigeon Forge

Which Pigeon Forge hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cookeville...
Level Contributor
160 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Trip report on Pigeon Forge

I just returned from Pigeon Forge. It was a last minute trip with my husband, 11 yr old son, and 70 yr old mother.

Thursday, March 8- We arrived about 3 pm and went to our cabin. We were very pleased with the cleanliness (I am very picky) and the decorations. Our cabin was at the Golfview Resort. I rented it through the owner on VRBO. The Golfview Resort was very convenient to the main strip in PF. (about 1/2 a mile) It had an indoor pool and and outdoor pool. The cabin had a screened in porch with a large hot tub and a jacuzzi bathtub. After we unpacked we went to the Discount Show Ticket booth and bought the "buy 2 get one free" tickets. We chose Comedy Barn, Black Bear Jamboree, and The Miracle. By this time we only had about 30 minutes until the Black Bear Jamboree show started. So we went down the street to the Incredible Christmas Place. That store is amazing! I loved just browsing. Then we returned to the show. We have seen it before. The food is just so so. You get roasted chicken, bbq ribs, green beans, potatoes, rolls, soup and a dessert. My favorite part was the soup and the dessert! The show was not as good as the first time. They left some parts out! My mom and I did not know why they cut it short. There was not a full house so we thought that maybe that was the reason.

Friday, March 9- We slept in late and then went to lunch at Mel's Diner. I really like Mel's Diner! The people are so friendly and the food is delicious. There are coupons in the books for % off. Unfortunately I didn't find it until later! I had a cheeseburger and it was huge! Then ,we went to Five Oaks Outlet Mall (my personal favorite) for about 2 hrs. We returned to the cabin and relaxed in the hot tub until time for the Comedy Barn show. This was my 4th time seeing it. It is a good, clean comedy show. However, I felt like they didn't have as much variety as usual. After the show we ate at IHOP. It wasn't very good!

Saturday, March 10- This was the shopping day for me and my mom! My husband and son went and did the "boy" stuff...go carts, golf, etc. We went to The Miracle that night. It was good...but it wasn't what I expected. I would not say that it is "broadway caliber". They sang EVERYTHING...there were hardly any speaking lines. Overall, it is worth seeing and I am so glad that this group is promoting the message of Jesus Christ. The music was very good.

Afterwards we ate at TGI Fridays in Sevierville. It was very good!

Sunday, March 11- We had to check out at 10 am. My son and husband drove separately, so my mom and I did MORE shopping!!! First we all ate at the Applewood Farmhouse Restaurant for breakfast. It was excellent!!! I love that place. Then, my mom and I went to Lidl Dolly's Quilt Shop. They had a 20 min. special on quilts and my mom bought 3. They were $15 each! Unbelievable. I love to look around in that place. Then we went back to Five Oaks to shop till we dropped!

The weather was BEAUTIFUL and it wasn't very crowded. I can't wait to go back!

Illinois
Level Contributor
942 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip report on Pigeon Forge

ok....now I'm getting "home sick" for PF..and I have to wait until October unless we take a short 2 or 3 day weekend trip ! I was so glad to read your post about Mels diner.....we ALWAYS eat breakfast there, and have for the past 6 years. we lovet he place too....someone posted here that they ate there and the "buffet" was lousy....I'm sure it was not the Mels at stoplight #3...I've never known them to have a buffet.....am I correct or have they changed and added a buffet ?

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,734 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip report on Pigeon Forge

I love last minute trips! Sounds like you all had a great weekend! Thanks for posting it.

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
2,456 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip report on Pigeon Forge

Laurie, so glad the last minute trip went well and everything was good with the condo choice. I know you were concerned before you left.

So glad the Miracle was worth the trip. We want to try for a new show this coming Oct and the previews and reviews of it have been really good. Thanks and welcome back.

kentucky
Level Contributor
47 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip report on Pigeon Forge

We are staying in a cabin at Golfview next weekend. Hope our cabin and trip is as wonderful as yours. We rented of VRBO to first time renting a cabin. I am kinda nervous. What was your VRBO #?

Cookeville...
Level Contributor
160 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip report on Pigeon Forge

The name of the cabin was Mountain Escape. The owner was Connie DeVault. This was my first time renting this way and I was very nervous. However, ,she was very nice and professional. I told her that I would definately use her cabin again.

Wish I was in...
Level Contributor
1,425 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip report on Pigeon Forge

I had the same problem with the Comedy Barn. They did only about half of the acts that were promised in the brochure. There were absolutely no animals in the entire show! The dogs were the main reason I even chose the Comedy Barn. We emailed them and complained and they sent us 4 complimentary passes. That was kind of them to do that for us. I am going to call ahead of time to make sure they plan on having a complete show whenever we get up there to go.

Cincinnati, Ohio
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip report on Pigeon Forge

I love these detailed trip reports, really helps to hear what others liked or didn't like :)

Sevierville, Tn
8 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip report on Pigeon Forge

Well, I am not sure what "Broadway shows" you are used to. Being an avid theater goer around the world I would say that this show is by far the closest thing that town has to offer to Broadway. If you are meaning that because it is almost completely sung that it doesn't fit the bill then you must know there are many other Broadway shows in that category that are like that as well such as Les Miserables. I have seen this show and I am just curious to how you cam up to your conclusion. Visually it is par, sound wise it is par. Maybe the talent? well that doesn't make sense either because I have met most of them and many came from New York or had recently been part of a national tour of a Broadway show or an international tour. Sorry, I guess it is a conflict of opinion. I guess I say this so others out there know that there is a different opinion on this show's caliber.

Illinois
Level Contributor
942 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip report on Pigeon Forge

I don't think your attack on the posters' opinion was necessary....after all it is HER opinion, and everyone differs on what they like and dislike...and she DID say the show was good and the music was good..it just wasn't what she expected.....personally, I found "The Promise" in Branson much better...but I still enjoyed "The Miracle" and would recommend seeing it.

10. Re: Trip report on Pigeon Forge

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 August 2009, 18:18