We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Old Mill Restaurant

Atlanta, United...
3 posts
2 reviews
The Old Mill Restaurant

Has the Old Mill Restaurant changed owners or managers?I have seen a difference in food and servers over the last several visits.

10 replies to this topic
Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
17,622 posts
112 reviews
1. Re: The Old Mill Restaurant

I dont know if thats the case but its definitely not as good as it used to be. It could just be the cook in the kitchen or they are trying to cheapen food costs. We stopped going there as it is not consistent and the service is not great either. Last time the girl spilled tea all over the table and it took her about 10 minutes to come back and clean it up. Out of the last 5 times we ate there we had 3 not so good experiences. We prefer the Pottery Cafe across the street or Mels Diner in PIgeon Forge and other places in Gatlnburg much better.

Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Sevierville, Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge, Great Smoky Mountains National Park
Level Contributor
5,476 posts
342 reviews
2. Re: The Old Mill Restaurant

I have mentioned it being hit or miss in my reviews for the past 3-4 years and in my trip reports. The last time we ate there it was really good and so was the service. I think they may have changed up the chefs in the kitchen a few times over the last 4 years. I agree with Born, The Pottery House across the street is really good and they make the best homemade breads.

Since our last experience at The Old Mill was good, we will probably go back. I have been eating at this restaurant for many many years so it's always on our 'Must Do' list.

You really should try The Local Goat. It's is really good.

Paris, Tn
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
3,095 posts
28 reviews
3. Re: The Old Mill Restaurant

It's been a few years since we ate at "the Old Mill", and even then I was never overly impressed with the food OR the service. Thinking back, I ordered a "pulled pork" sandwich....can't recall what my wife had, and we ordered the "fried pickles" as a side dish. My bar b que came with no slaw, no "hot sauce" either. But the "fried pickles" were good.

Ray

Sugar Land, Texas
Level Contributor
2,366 posts
16 reviews
4. Re: The Old Mill Restaurant

I find that most restaurants have off days. My favorite Applewood Grill's fried chicken is not always the best but I can always count on the apple fritters and apple butter.

Atoka, Tennessee
Level Contributor
185 posts
51 reviews
5. Re: The Old Mill Restaurant

True no restaurant is 100% all the time.. Saying that I've never had a bad meal at the Old Mill.

Edited: 29 November 2017, 23:15
Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,013 posts
39 reviews
6. Re: The Old Mill Restaurant

I haven’t had a great experience the last two times either.

I hope it’s a temporary phase.

miamisburg
Level Contributor
240 posts
108 reviews
7. Re: The Old Mill Restaurant

I've had a waitress tell me she could walk down the parkway and stop at 6 places and get a job at 5 of them on the spot. They know if they get in trouble for being late, not showing up or whatever, they can go to the next place and get a job no problem. Whether this is the case, I dont know. Unless a restaurant is paying more to keep good workers, sounds like there is a lot of turnover in the area.

Nashville, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
2,352 posts
76 reviews
8. Re: The Old Mill Restaurant

Most servers work for the tips and where tips are best is where the servers are going to gravitate to, whether that is Corky's, Mel's, Old Mill or Alamo or the hundreds of other restaurants in the area.

Saying this, servers are usually the ones to "take the hit" when the food isn't so great and then when tips start falling off, they take the approach of "if the food is poor and my service is great, I'm still going to suffer, so why bother with great service".

The back of the house literally feeds the front of the house in the restaurant business.

Paris, Tn
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
3,095 posts
28 reviews
9. Re: The Old Mill Restaurant

Great point brought up by Patrick K. no matter which restaurant customers go to, both the food AND the service must meet up to our standards....if one or the other is lacking, then tips are small or nonexistent, so we won't return, and therefor the restaurant and its servers get a bad rap.

Ray

Tombstone, Arizona
Level Contributor
962 posts
52 reviews
10. Re: The Old Mill Restaurant

First of all, it is the responsibility of the Manager to make certain that the best cook is in the Kitchen, that the cast is the best and friendliest and all else that transpires therein. The manager, if he is worth his salt, can easily keep track of the attendance and whether or not it has dropped off and for certain he is the one that should be answering all the complaints should there be any. If the cast decided to move on due to higher tipping somewhere else, that is beyond the Managers control.

Reply to: The Old Mill Restaurant
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted