We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

If you could only do one thing in PF what would it be . . .

Which Pigeon Forge hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
265 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
If you could only do one thing in PF what would it be . . .

This morning, I had this super idea as I was driving in to work. I was thinking about my upcoming trip, and how much everyone on the TA site has helped me out with all the fun things to do while in the Great Smoky Mountains.

This forum is basically being created to help me, and other people like me who might be coming to the PF or Great Smokies for the first time.

What i am looking for is really good experienced answers to the question I am about to ask. (I know it is hard to narrow it down to one thing because of all the things I have heard there is to do). Remember: It is only one thing you can give a discription of and it can be in Gatlin, PF, or Sevierville Area's, or the GSMNP area.

The Question : If you could tell a person the one thing they must experience while in the smoky mountain area (PF, Gatlin, or Sevierville )what would it be and why. Be specific. I want this to be like one of the best forums every and a great resource for new visitors like me.

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
38,694 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: If you could only do one thing in PF what would it be . . .

No question; the national park is the one thing not to miss.

It's beautiful, full of things to do, and best of all, free!!

If I had to pick one spot in the park, I'd have to pick Cades Cove for visiting. I've probably been there 50 times or more, but never tire of it.

Illinois
Level Contributor
942 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: If you could only do one thing in PF what would it be . . .

Without hesitation...the National Park...specifically Cades Cove...it's a beautiful valley surrounded by the mountains, with original homesteads you can visit, wildlife and peaceful places to pull over and have a picnic....and it doesn't cost anything ! ( my second choice in the park would be Roaring Fork Motor Trail... I know you asked for only one..but Roaring Fork is an awesome drive !! )

Wasilla, Alaska
Level Contributor
237 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: If you could only do one thing in PF what would it be . . .

Drive through the GSMNP from Gatlinburg to Cherokee with stops for views and quiet walkways. There is nothing that man has constructed to compare with what God has made.

pekin IL
Level Contributor
499 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: If you could only do one thing in PF what would it be . . .

Are you noticing a theme? I have to side with the Cade's Cove folk, I just love driving thru there. Every visit to the area, we're there at least once......

Michigan
Level Contributor
28 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: If you could only do one thing in PF what would it be . . .

What a great post. So far I can see one thing I definitely MUST DO on my trip!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
265 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: If you could only do one thing in PF what would it be . . .

See we are helping people already.

Keep the comments coming. . .Glad this helped ya Spencer. . .

Remember, you can elaborate on why you would go to that particular spot in the Great Smoky Mountains, but we need to make sure you zone in on the #1 thing you would do. It is okay to meantion what you would do as a secondary thing, but we don't want you to elaborate on it. Only elaborate on the #1 thing you would do.

And let's see who else we can help! So far Cades Cove is looking like the Number one thing to do if you visit the area.

Cinn, OH
Level Contributor
1,432 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: If you could only do one thing in PF what would it be . . .

Cades Cove is my #1 pick, take a picnic or at least a snack, go early or late in the day, maybe stop and take pictures of all the bears we see (hope), next would be the Roaring Fork trail.

Grove City, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,519 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: If you could only do one thing in PF what would it be . . .

Cades Cove is definitely the one thing that you should do. We like to get there in the evening close to dusk. The wildlife is more active then than in the heat of the day. Last June we saw three bear when we went out in the evening. We have also seen coyotes, wild turkeys and of course tons of whitetails. The light in the evening is not as harsh and much better for pictures. It is also much quieter then.

Make sure that you stop next to one of the streams and just listen to the water run. That's my favorite sound.

Yella, with all of this research that you are doing, I hope that you have a great time in my favorite place. We will be there during the second full week of June. It will be our third time there since the week after Christmas. Does that give you an idea of how feel about this special area?

Have a great trip.

pekin IL
Level Contributor
499 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: If you could only do one thing in PF what would it be . . .

Awwww, 3 times since Christmas??? That ain't fair Wizard!!! We're not gonna make it this year, it's driving me crazy. The Mrs claims that's a pretty short trip, tho..........

North Carolina
Level Contributor
144 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: If you could only do one thing in PF what would it be . . .

If you are in Gatlinburg then u have got to go to the Ripley's Aquarium because I think that it is a must see if u like fish and other reptiles. I had read about it online and wanted to go so bad so when the hubby-to-be and I went to PF with some friends we all decided we would go into Gatlinburg and go. I loved looking around at the exhibits they had as well as the restaurant and the gift shop. I will post the link in case anyone wants to check it out.

I noticed that many of you picked Cades Cove but I have never been there but plan on going the next time we are in Tennessee.From what I have read on here it sounds like a good place to go to.Thanks for the tips and I love this board.

http://www.ripleysaquariumofthesmokies.com/

Get answers to your questions about Pigeon Forge