We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is 4 days enough?

Which Pigeon Forge hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brampton, ON
Level Contributor
76 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Is 4 days enough?

We are planning a trip to PF and wondered if 4 days would be enough. So far,I have been checking out your advice and we would like to visit Cades Cove, Dollywood and Dixie Stampede and maybe get in a little shopping. We are two senior couples and wondered if there are any other must sees that we should consider.

Canada, Kentucky
Level Contributor
778 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is 4 days enough?

It all depends on how much you want to experience of the Smokies. As you mentioned Cades Cove is a must. We easily spend half a day there. Roaring Fork motor nature trail is also nice. Newfound Gap is the main overlook along with Clingmans Dome nearby. The walk up to the dome is about a 1/2 mile, i think and uphill. Don't know how active you are but it is worth it on a clear day. They have benches along the way to stop and rest. On the North Carolina side there is a farmstead that is nice and also nearby is the entrance to the Blue Ridge Parkway which offers some amazing views. You can drive as far as you want and then make your way back. There are easy trails at Sugarlands Visitor center that you could take. In PF you would want to see the Old Mill area. Also, go to The Apple Barn and the Christmas Place. In Gatlinburg there is The Village. It is a nice area of shops that look "Old World" style. I like going there at night. It's really relaxing there. Brick pathways lead you into all kinds of areas with quaint little shops. I don't know if you would be interested but the Aquarium in Gatlinburg is really neat. It is visited by young and older folks. Allow at least 3 hours for there. It is really enjoyable. I hope this helps you out. : )

Wish I was in...
Level Contributor
1,425 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is 4 days enough?

Four days will get you a very good vacation in the Smokies, but there is so much to do and see, that you will always have something that will have to be put off till the next trip. We always have a huge list for our next trip.

I would definitely check out Gatlinburg. The Village in downtown beside the Pancake Pantry is a very nice. There a quite a few shops and places to eat ,and you can sit and relax by the fountain. Take a stroll down the strip and stop in some of the shops. Breakfast at the Pancake Pantry is wonderful!

While you are in Gatlinburg, be sure and drive the Roaring Fork Nature Trail. If you are driving towards the National Park, take a left at traffic light #8 and follow the signs. It is a nice auto tour with a few old houses to stop at along the way.

You must go to the National Park. There is a waterfall called Cataract Falls that you can walk to near Sugarlands Visitor Center. It is a VERY short easy walk. To get there from GB turn right one road before the visitor center at the park headquarters. You will see a small cemetery on your left. Turn left on the road beside the cemetery and a parking area will be on your right. The trail to the falls is beside the bridge. I think it is 1 tenth of a mile to the falls.

Stop at the Sugarlands Visitor Center and check out the exhibits inside.

Cades Cove is a MUST! If you can only go one place, Cades Cove is it. It is beautiful!!! You will see beautiful scenery and wildlife. There are lots of old homesites and churches to stop and see. There is a visitor center and restrooms half way around the loop. There is a mill and some more homes beside the visitor center.

Also drive up to Newfound Gap in the park. The views are breathtaking. You can drive up to Clingman's Dome right past Newfound Gap for some even better views. You don't have to hike up to the tower for the views, it is just a good from the parking area.

Hope this helps! I hope you have a great vacation!

Brampton, ON
Level Contributor
76 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is 4 days enough?

Thank you both very much. I know we would love the mountain scenery. I have four months to get into better shape so I'm trying to get more walking in. Maybe by the time we are set to go, I'll be able to go long distances. LOL.

Roselle Park, New...
Level Contributor
2,355 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is 4 days enough?

Yes I think 4 months of walking will definitely be more than enough to get you in shape. Last year I started walking 3 months before going to the smokies and was in very good shape by the time we got there. I had more energy and lost over 10 pounds so its a good thing. 4 days will keep you very busy if you go between the two towns.

Roselle Park, New...
Level Contributor
2,355 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is 4 days enough?

Oh I see you dont have any children so 4 days may be good enough for you. If you decide you like it and want more time you can always come back for a longer vacation at another time.

Thibodaux, LA
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Is 4 days enough?

it's been so long since i've posted, but i definitely wanted to chime in here. the topic caught my eye because i am taking a family trip at the end of june and we are staying for *four days*

although i dont think, for us, 4 days will be nearly enough, i think i have to agree with a previous statement that yes you can get a good vacation in to the smokies with only 4 days. visit the cove, take the motor trail, and do some shopping in gatlinburg. you will have a great time i promise :o) just make sure and take notes for next time.

i do know one thing that my family and i discussed.....we havent' been able to get a trip in for the last two years. other than that, we've gone every year for as long as i can remember. there are almost TOO MANY good places to eat, but when you add in the time it takes to wait for your food and then eat, you are looking at almost 5 hours a day just to eat. that's time we could be enjoying the mountains!! we are staying in a cabin and agreed that we'll be eating small breakfasts before we leave, sandwiches for lunch, and maybe have a good sit down supper, if we don't bbq at the cabin.

so that's my tip to you for your very short 4 day trip :o) my family and i usually stay at least a week, but with our conflicting work schedules that's all we could get. so i hope that helps at least a little :o) enjoy your stay......i hope to post and chat more before your trip later this year. i'll let you know how mine went when we return :o)

mandi

Brampton, ON
Level Contributor
76 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is 4 days enough?

Thaniks Mandi.

We aren't going until September. It is our 40th anniversary and I want to go so badly. I'm afraid to get too excited because things always happen and we can't go. But I'm really hoping that thiings work out.

Please let me know how your trip goes.

Joyce

8. Re: Is 4 days enough?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 September 2009, 14:26
Get answers to your questions about Pigeon Forge