We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gem Mine-Pigeon Forge or Gatlinberg?????

Davie,Fl
Level Contributor
80 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Gem Mine-Pigeon Forge or Gatlinberg?????

Hi,

We are going to PF/GB on Sunday for a week. We want to take the kids to a gem mine. Does anyone have any opinions on the Pigeon Forge Gem Mine at Traffic Light #4 or the Gem Mine in Gatlinberg at Camp Thunder Fun Center?

Thanks

Roselle Park, New...
Level Contributor
2,444 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gem Mine-Pigeon Forge or Gatlinberg?????

Hi,

they are probably pretty much basically the same. We went to the one at light #4 in PF and it was fun for the kids. They give you a bucket, all different prices and gems depending on what you want to do. Its fun but the more expensive part of it is getting it made into jewelry. I decided not to do that due to the price of course, so just went home with a souvenir bag of stones. Not sure if it was worth the $25 to do that though. They also have $10 buckets which might be enough just for the kids if you dont plan on getting anything made.

Davie,Fl
Level Contributor
80 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gem Mine-Pigeon Forge or Gatlinberg?????

Hi Ginger,

Thanks for the info. We'll probably just let the kids take the stones home too, no jewelry!!!!

South Mississippi
Level Contributor
245 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gem Mine-Pigeon Forge or Gatlinberg?????

I let my kids do the gem mining in PF. They shared a $25 bucket and then I let them each pick out a stone to have made into a ring. One the way home I noticed that my youngest daughter's ring had turned black but on the other hand my older daughter has kept up with hers and it still looks good. I paid about $115 for 2 rings.

Davie,Fl
Level Contributor
80 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gem Mine-Pigeon Forge or Gatlinberg?????

Melissa,

Thanks. Sharing a bucket is a good idea.

Cinn, OH
Level Contributor
1,494 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gem Mine-Pigeon Forge or Gatlinberg?????

The gem mining place in PF is real nice about explaining to the kids what each stone is. Sometimes they also have a special that you get a pair of earings and a necklace, minus the chain, made, price depends on what kind of stone you want. I have had some made up for Christmas presents, grandson thought it was so neat that he "found" the stone.

Greenwood, Indiana
Level Contributor
147 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Gem Mine-Pigeon Forge or Gatlinberg?????

When we go there we also have my kids share a bucket. The parking at the Pigeon Forge is alot better and free. I'm kinda partial to the Pigeon Forge one because I've been going there for years. It has been a couple of years since I've been there. Last time we were there I had some earings made for my wife that matched a necklace we made 3 years before then. (-: It's alot of fun for adults or kids!!!

Brettman

7. Re: Gem Mine-Pigeon Forge or Gatlinberg?????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2009, 11:24
Get answers to your questions about Pigeon Forge