We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cell phone signals in the mountains ???

Which Pigeon Forge hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Lorain, Ohio
Level Contributor
852 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
cell phone signals in the mountains ???

Hey.....

just wondering if you can get a good signal in the mountains???

we just switched from sprint to cingular because we would have so many areas with no signal, and dropped calls.... wondering what others have experienced in that area....

Asheboro, N.C.
Level Contributor
1,962 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cell phone signals in the mountains ???

I always have a great signal. I am with Verizon. Even in places others do not have service I have it. We used to have cingular and the best I can remember I got a pretty good signal in the mountains.

Wish I was in...
Level Contributor
1,425 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cell phone signals in the mountains ???

In GB and PF we have very good service with TMobile. Once you enter the park, we have only been able to get service in a few open areas, but nothing more than a few bars. Last trip we actually were able to make a call from Cades Cove near the road to Abrams Falls, but that was the only time that has ever happened.

Great Smoky...
Level Contributor
2,019 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cell phone signals in the mountains ???

we have Nextel and we always got a signal.

sevier county
Level Contributor
61 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: cell phone signals in the mountains ???

With Cingular, you will probably not have service between Pigeon Forge & Gatlinburg, especially on the tunnel side but that is only 5 miles. The better service is closest to main roads and almost all cell phones lose signals when traveling "up and down" the hills, specifically in the "downs". Don't fret.....we have many towers available, just depends on which ones your provider uses.

pekin IL
Level Contributor
499 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: cell phone signals in the mountains ???

We stayed in the Cosby area last year, our Verizon service was non-existent at the cabin. Once we got into PF, and Morristown, service was fine. Don't think we tried it in GB, tho........

Springfield, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,787 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: cell phone signals in the mountains ???

we have nextel and had signals in most areas. and 2 out of 3 cabins we stayed in. this last cabin we had no signal at all! but the others we wouldn't have a signal on the way to the cabin but once we were there we would.

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
38,713 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: cell phone signals in the mountains ???

Lamar has Verizon and so does my friend who goes to the Smokies with me often.

Neither of them can get any service in the mountains at all, at least before this year. Perhaps Verizon has boosted their signals, but we've never been able to get any cell service in the past.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: cell phone signals in the mountains ???

We just got back yesterday. I have Sprint and my mom has Verizon. Our cabin was in Sevierville and we both had service at the cabin. The only time we did not have service was going through the park. Neither one of us had service then. Once you get out of the park and in Gatlinburg, we both had service.

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
38,713 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: cell phone signals in the mountains ???

Let me clarify that we could not get cell reception "inside the national park" once we were on the roads in the park or at any locations in the park.

In all the towns outside the national park, we had great cell reception (G.B., P.F., Townsend, Maryville, etc).

We only lost service once we were inside the national park.

10. Re: cell phone signals in the mountains ???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 September 2009, 23:16
Get answers to your questions about Pigeon Forge