We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wow what a trip

Which Pigeon Forge hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Harrisonburg
Level Contributor
31 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Wow what a trip

First let me thank Barry, Git2know fame. You were so helpfull in helping us plan our trip.

I just wish we could have done it all but in a week this impossible. This trip was on of our best. Let me set the stage. Hubby 65 and myself 57. Not as in shape as we thought we were.

Loved out cabin. Romantic Hideaway through Hearthside Rentals. Fine for 2 people and very confortable. Pet Friendly.

We got in on Sunday afternoon. It was raining most of the way there so decided not to go to Dollywood that evening. We decided to go to the Comedy Barn that evening. It was a great show and we were back early.

Monday we got up and headed out early to go horse back riding. My backside and legs sure did hurt though. It was a fun ride but I hurt for two days. Can you tell I am out of shape. I am not a big person. Only 5'2" and am not over weight by more than 10lbs. Hubby was fine. It was a one hour ride along water and around the lower part of the mountain. Beautiful!!!!!! We went back to the cabin after that and relaxed. At 1:30 we went to the Old Mill area and went into the shops there. At 3:00 we went to Dollywood. The shows there are WONDERFUL. Actually Dollywood is a lot better than Bush Gardens or Kings Dominion. We left there at 7:00 which is closing time. Back to the cabin for the evening. Be sure to get a schedule of the shows. Every day one of the shows is closed. We would have missed one of the best shows had we not paid attention to that. Loved the 50's show at Dreamland. We saw it the first day but would have missed it on the second day as they were off that day.

Tuesday we spent most of the day at Dollywood. If you go after 3:00 one day you can get in the next day for the same price. It's like a 1/2 day free. That afternoon is rained while we were in a show but had stopped by the time we got out. We were back to the cabin and in the hot tub by 4:30. Spent the evening in the cabin.

Wednesday we left EARLY to go to Grotto Falls. While we were driving we saw a sign for another water fall so we decided to hike to see it. 2.6 miles along a stream. Yeah RIGHT!!!! We were about .6 from where we thought the waterfalls was and met some hikers who told us it's 2.6 miles to the TRAIL to the waterfalls then another 6 MILES to the falls. We turned around at that point and headed back down the Mt.

We drove to Grotto Falls to see the one we had planed to go to in the first place. That was about a mile and a half. We were so tried from the other hike it was struggle to get there but well worth it. Climbing uphill on a trail up the mt. better be worth it. It's a beautiful waterfall and you can walk behind it. By the time we got down we were running behind. We had to drive back to Pigeon Forge and get ready to go to Dixie Stampead that night. We had to be there by 4:15 and we made it by the skin of our teeth.

Dixie Stampead. We had our confirmation number and got to the window. The lady typed in the number and couldn't find us. Got our name and typed it in. Ummm, I was getting worried. She looked at us and told us our tickets were for the night before. I knew then they had typed it in wrong when I called them cause I had scheduled us day by day for the whole trip. It only showed me we were not the ones who made the mistake. I was very careful to schedule this trip day by day. I believe she realized it when I showed her my typed schedule. She said she would see what she could do. After about 15 minuties they found us seats. The seats were WONDERFUL. Dinner was great. For dinner we had Cheese Bisket, Cream Veggie Soup (wonderful), bbq pork, huge potato wedge, corn on the cob, whole chicken, apple turnover. There were 1,097 people and there were several seatings a night. I don't know how they feed that many people at one time but we all got our food at the same time. There looked to be one server per around 30 people. The show was amazing. There had be a pre show in another area before the main show.

Thursday. We left early in the morning and drove to Cades Cove. It's a wonderful loop drive in the mountains. We didn't get to see any bear but we did see other wild life. We had planned to go to Gatlinburg and spend the rest of the day but that morning I had gotten something in my eye. I could see by now my eye was not getting any better so even though I suffered through Cades Cove it meant not being able to go into Gatlinburg and mess around. To the Dr. we headed. I had to wait over an hour once we found a Dr. It seems I had somehow scratched my eye in two places. Had to get drops and also take an antibotic. That turned out to be a less than perfect day for us. We got icecream in the evening and hit the hot tub as we were both very sore from the hiking and horseback riding.

Friday. We decided to drive to Cherokee in N.C. The drive was awsome!!!!! Oh My what pretty scenery. We took a tour of the reservation. All who live there are Indian. There was a festival going on but we decided to get back to Gatlinburg and spend some time there. Of course by the time we got back there the time was running out. One of the things we did that was so much fun was playing Hill Billy Golf. Imagine riding a roll a coaster car in slow motion up the side of a Mountain. Somehow they had build a miniture golf course on the side of the mountain. It was so much fun. Once you finished you could ride back down the side of the mountain. We went back to the cabin and I did laundry and started packing.

We plan to go again and maybe stay in Gatlinburg the next time. Pigeon Fordge does not have many shops up and down the streets like Gatlinburg does. It's more spread out in Pigeon Forge and not a quaint.

The cabin was every bit as nice as we saw in the pictures. We in the MOUNTAINS that's for sure.

Sat morning ate breakfast and left by 9am. Stopped at a flea market and made several other stops on the way home. Arrived home around 5pm.

Thanks to everyone who gave us tips. There was so much more to see and do that we didn't have time for.

Pictures to come later.

Lorain, Ohio
Level Contributor
852 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wow what a trip

hey connie,

sounds like you had a wonderful trip!!! ( outside of the eye thing...)

I too am trying to plan our trip day by day... I think I am going to call the dixie stapmede and just double check our reservations to be sure... the comedy barn too.....

we are staying around pigeon forge... I kinda wish we would have done 3 days in PF and 3 days in GAT. just to experience both but we got an extra day free at our cabin (stay 5 and the 6th is free)

so thats the only reason we are staying 6 days...

glad to hear that you enjoyed your time there , I can't wait til we go about 27 more days to wait...... will be watching for your pics.

Kendra

Alabama
Level Contributor
227 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Wow what a trip

ConnieVa, what horseback riding company did you use? We are going July 1-8 and that activity is on my list to do.

Thanks for the great trip report!

Celena

Asheboro, N.C.
Level Contributor
1,962 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wow what a trip

Thanks for the wonderful trip report.

Harrisonburg
Level Contributor
31 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wow what a trip

We asked around about Horse Back riding and ever time came up with Walden Ceek. If you take an early morning ride you can get $5.00 off coupons. Of course we didn't find that out until we arrived. You will have to go to a Western store to get them.

We thought we were getting the coupons that we needed on line but later found out we made some mistakes. One example would have been to book Dixie Stampead through through the cabin rental place we could have gotten a larger discount.

We found it pays to find coupons before you book things. Even though I had taken lots of coupons with us most of them we didn't use. Of course if you wait to book the Dixie Stampead when you arrive you probably won't get in.

No matter what, I assure you of one thing. YOU WILL HAVE A WONDERFUL TIME.

Brampton, ON
Level Contributor
76 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wow what a trip

Sounds like you had a wonderful time. Hope the eye is much better. Thanks for the info on the Dixie Stampede. I had thought we would just wait until we get there but maybe we will book ahead. Thanks for the info.

Alabama
Level Contributor
227 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Wow what a trip

Thanks ConnieVa! I have not been on a horse in about 22 years and my kids plus hubby have not been on one at all. Well except maybe a pony ride when they were little. I was kind of leaning towards Cades Cove riding stables but when you mentioned your trip was along the water it caught my attention. So thank you for taking the time to reply back and I think my kids would enjoy(I know I would!) riding along the water.

Thank goodness our cabin will have a hot tub and jacuzzi because I know we will need it, LOL! I plan on us doing the horse back riding later toward the end of our stay:)

Celena

Harrisonburg
Level Contributor
31 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wow what a trip

Check out the Cades Cove Stables too. Only part of the trip was by the water. Not a lot of it. We did cross the stream a couple of times.

Also, Dixie Stamped you need to check on. Like I said, not sure if you can get tickets once you get there. Go through your cabin rental place to book the tickets if you can and try to get money off.

Re-read what I wrote. Don't chance missing it because of a discount.

Alabama
Level Contributor
227 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Wow what a trip

Thanks, I will check both places and go from there. Also thanks for the heads up about the coupon for Walden Creek. So they have a western store to pick up the coupon but go early? There will be 5 of us.

I was told by posters here to stop by The Welcome Center to pick up coupons and I also got a Pigeon Forge Saver card.

We will not be going to the Dixie Stampead. I loved it but hubby didnt care for it to much:(

TY,

Celena

Harrisonburg
Level Contributor
31 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wow what a trip

Hate to hear your not going to the Dixie stampead. My hubby didn't want to go either but was so glad he did. He really enjoyed it.

Glad your going to stop by the welcome center.

Walden Creek told me most any western store had the coupins.