We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just back & review

Oneonta, AL
9 posts
Save Topic
Just back & review

We just got back from PF/Gatlinburg, and had a great trip. As with any review, a lot depends on the day & time & other variables.....but for what it is worth, here was our experience in a few areas:

We stayed at a wonderful cabin called "Away From It All." The name says it all...it is just a little over 5 miles outside PF, far enough out to be quiet, but close enough in to get to where you need to be in no time. The cabin can accommodate up to 6 (two bedrooms & a sofa bed). There were five of us (my wife, myself, and kids 9, 7 & 2). If you are looking for a cabin in this size, I highly recommend it...it was beautiful, well-kept, and had everything we needed. Info on this cabin and another by the same owners is at:

http://www.smokymtncabins4rent.com

This trip was mainly for us to relax for awhile, so we did most of our eating at the cabin....which saved a great deal in meal costs......we did eat out some, however......someone had recommended Calhoun's to us, and we went to the one in PF Saturday for lunch....knowing the one in Gatlinburg would be crowded.....the one in PF was not crowded at all, in fact, we were seated immediately (this was at 12:00 noon btw). The server was very friendly and helpful, and didn't take long for the food to arrive. The food was very good....I had the sampler platter off the lunch menu, and it was sooo good! The pulled pork was delicious; the chicken was moist & tender, and the ribs were great too. The kids enjoyed their meals, and my wife's chicken was great too.....for us, it was a good experience.

Marble Slab Creamery....great place for an ice cream treat....the ice cream was delicious (try their strawberry shortcake too), but the service was quite slow....a lot of people there, and some gave up and went next door to Baskin-Robins, but for me it was worth the wait.

We did some of the family things like everyone does, and nothing was much different than any of the other reviews.....and made the trip to Cades Cove (saw a mom bear & her cubs & several deer)...for me, it's hard to go to PF/Gatlinburg and not have a great time. I did want to mention these places though. For anyone going, be patient with the traffic and have fun!

Springfield, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,787 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just back & review

great trip report!

sounds like you and your family had a great time! and very true it is hard to go to gat/pf and not have a great time!

dont know if you've ever ate at The Mill...but add that for a meal next time!

we want to check out Calhouns on our next trip so hopefully we will get to but we always have to eat at our favs first!

you're cabin looked great also!

thanks for the report :)

Brampton, ON
Level Contributor
76 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just back & review

Thanks so much for the report. sounds like you and your family had a great time. How long did you stay and were you able to fit in everything that you and your family wanted to do?

Alabama
Level Contributor
227 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Just back & review

Thanks for the trip report. It sounds like you all had a great relaxing time. We are taking our 3 kiddos in July for their first time. I have tried not to over plan but there is so much to do. The good thing is that this will give us a reason to come back again:)

Celena

Oneonta, AL
9 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Just back & review

We were there from Thursday through Sunday.....you could stay a week or longer and still not get to do everything! We skipped the shows this time, though we have been to many of them in the past, and have enjoyed them...especially the Comedy Barn and Dixie Stampede....as I said earlier, a lot of one's experiences (good or bad) depend on different variables that you can't control....but all those variables turned out good for us. One thing I didn't mention but should have was that this was the first time we drove through the arts & crafts community off 321....if you have plenty of time and don't mind stopping every little while, you can really find some neat things. Go on up a ways past City Hall, and turn left on Glades Road. It's a lot less crowded than downtown Gatlinburg, and there are a lot of quaint shops and places to spend time shopping, if you are into the arts & crafts thing. We really enjoyed stopping and finding some things. Next time, we plan on staying longer and taking in the shows again. This time, we just enjoyed staying at the cabin (it was GREAT) and relaxing for the most part. Happy travelling all!

Savannah, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg, Maggie Valley, Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
3,722 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just back & review

Dave,

Great trip report! We'll try the Marble Slab Creamery on our next trip.

I notice you are from Oneonta, AL. I have friends there. Nice place!

6. Re: Just back & review

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2009, 18:18
Get answers to your questions about Pigeon Forge