We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rainy weather activities

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
Rainy weather activities

Wow! So we are coming to the area for a family reunion next week, 7/28-8/4. The forecast says there are scattered thunderstorms every day! Ugh!

I think we need a plan B: Any ideas for good rainy day activiites? Places that are stroller friendly? We have 7 kids (1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 10 yo) and 8 adults. We were planning on Dollywood, splash country, Cades Cove, Art and crafts area, Applewood, etc. Maybe those won't work now...

Also to you locals, does it tend to rain cats and dogs for long periods of time when the forecast is for scattered t-storms, or can we still try to do outdoor activities, like Cades Cove, Dollywood, etc.?

How dreary does it get in the area with weather like this? Is there significant flooding? Do roads closed? I'm soooo disappointed with the rain forecast, but we will make the best of it!

Thanks, everyone! -Tracy

Smoky Mountain Ziplines
Zipline & Aerial Adventure Parks
Smoky Mountain Jeep Rentals
Equipment Hire, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Self-Guided Tours & Rentals, Other Outdoor Activities
Flyaway Indoor Skydiving
Adrenaline & Extreme Tours
Grove City, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rainy weather activities

Scattered thunderstorms are a way of life in East Tennessee this time of year. I wouldn't change any activities unless there are specific warnings. Usually these are very widely scattered. Sometimes it rains in the mountains and not in the Gburg/Pigeon Forge area. We've been in Gburg when it was pouring and when we got back to PF it was sunny. Don't worry about the rain forecast this far ahead of time. It will probably change three or four times before then. The showers don't usually last that long, but sometimes they are intense. It's been so dry down there, I doubt that any stream would be high enough to flood.

Just make sure that you check the weather in the morning before you go out. That will be specific enough.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Rainy weather activities

Thank you! I feel a lot better now...we will be sure to check the weather each day, then. I'm so excited to get there already! Thanks again! -T

Michigan
Level Contributor
176 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Rainy weather activities

The worst rain we have ever experienced was the remnants of a hurricane and that was an all day rain as it passed over. That was a cave exploration day (but that wouldn't work with strollers) and we spent some time at the Community Center bowling. The Aquarium in GBurg is a wonderful rainy day activity. If you take the trolly from PF to G Burg you will get dropped off right outside the aquarium.

Typically we have found the storms to pop up in the afternoon, last just a little bit, and then it will get muggy. The pop up storms have NOT caused us to leave Dollywood ever!! There are shows and covered pavillions you can pop into. Many rides shut down for a period after lightning, but there is loads to do besides the rides!!

Have a great trip & don't let the rain dampen your reunion!!

Cinn, OH
Level Contributor
1,518 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rainy weather activities

You could still do the Roaring Fork and/or Cades Cove drive. The rain might actually make the streams better for viewing. There is always shopping in the area too. On rainy days I also wash our clothes. Like the above poster said, there is enough stuff to do at Dollywood, that you don't have to leave if it rains. I do know that Dixie Stampede fills up fast on rainy days, so if that is in your plans, call early for seats.

Asheboro, N.C.
Level Contributor
1,962 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rainy weather activities

The Smith family Show has a new afternoon show at 2:30 that you could see. The kids would love it. It is call "Blast From The Past". Wonderful and exciting show.

There is also the Mirror Maze in Gatlinburg, Rain Forest Adventures in Pigeon Forge is a great way to spend family time on a rainy day.

Michigan
Level Contributor
176 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Rainy weather activities

Black Bear Jamboree would be a dinner and show the kids would enjoy. They have lots of audience interaction and the kids go onto the stage to sing a song. Kids eat free (I think it is one per paying adult) and last time we were there they had a "kids" menu (chicken strips, corn on the cob, tater tots) or the kids can get the regular meal. They video tape (dvd actually now I think) the performance and all of the interaction and that is available to purchase.

Dixie also puts on a wonderful dinner and show, I especially like the "pre-show show" in the lobby. You can get a frozen drink (no alcohol) in a souvineer boot cup. The only draw back is you have to pay for the kids meals (maybe not for the year old though). We have been able to purchase BBJ tickets the day of the show, Dixie tickets we aren't always luck with if we wait to make reservations when we get there. We usually call several weeks before we leave and just pick up the tickets and pay for them the morning of the show.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Rainy weather activities

Thanks for all of your suggestions! I'll be checking out everything...we are definitely going to pick a couple of shows to go to. I didn't know kids were free to that one...that might be a great way to save a few bucks! Thanks again, everyone! -Tracy

Gonzales, Louisiana
Level Contributor
624 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rainy weather activities

I like to go shopping on the rainy days. Arts and Crafts community would be good area to to go shopping - I suppose kids wouldn't like this though!

9. Re: Rainy weather activities

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 September 2009, 16:17