We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help with itinerary! Dollywood or Tweetsie??

Which Pigeon Forge hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Beech Grove, Indiana
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Need help with itinerary! Dollywood or Tweetsie??

We are taking our 2 children on a road trip May 31st through the first week of June. Our kids have never seen the mountains or the ocean, so our first stop will be in PF, then we'll make a few stops as we travel through North Carolina until we reach the outer banks (in fact, our final stop will be tent camping on the beach at Cape Lookout, NC.) I am still in the beginning stages of planning our trip, as this is (gulp!) quite a bit to plan! I was thinking about staying in Pigeon Forge for two nights, then traveling into North Carolina to spend the night near Tweetsie RR, so that we would get an early start on our day at Tweetsie. But after reading positive comments about Dollywood here on the forum, I'm not sure if Tweetsie would be the best choice for the kids. I believe both would be fun for the kids, as they are 3 and 5 years old, but I need help deciding which park to take the children to so I can plan the logistics of our trip (ie, stay our third night near Tweetsie or plan for an extra night in PF to be able to visit Dollywood.) I do like the idea of visiting Dollywood at 3 PM, and getting in free the next day, as well as being able to take the trolley to Dolly to save on parking....Any suggestions? Has anyone visited both Dollywood and Tweetsie? TIA!

Amy

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
38,730 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help with itinerary! Dollywood or Tweetsie??

I've only been to Dollywood, but I will say they have a terrific train ride at the Dollywood park.

It's an authentic coal-fired steam engine train that travels about 5 miles in distance (it goes up the mountain and back down), so the train ride at Dollywood is a special one. It's certainly not your typical "amusement park train ride" at all.

The "after 3:00, get in the next day free" is a great offer.

I would definitely have to choose Dollywood as there's so much for kids that age to do there.

Asheboro, N.C.
Level Contributor
1,962 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help with itinerary! Dollywood or Tweetsie??

Amybeth,

Been to both many many many many times. I would never pick Tweetsie RR over Dollywood. Dollywood has really alot more there for your age of children. There is so much more to do at Dollywood than Tweetsie. There are shows for the kids ranging from fun shows to educational shows, rides much better food. So in my opinion I would skip Tweetsie. You can go to Dollywood at 2:30 and they will let you in then and still get to come back for free the nest day. Also your kids can eat Breakfast at Grannies for free with paying adults.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
47 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help with itinerary! Dollywood or Tweetsie??

I'm a huge fan of Dollywood. I've gone for years and I now enjoy the visit with my 3 year old grandson. There is no comparing Dollywood and Tweetsie. Dollywood wins hands down every time, UNLESS you're 3 years old. The crowds at Dollywood and the long lines for rides can make for a long day for a little one. Tweetsie has just enough to entertain a child without overwhelming him or her. Unless it's a special event, Tweetsie is very peaceful and lines almost nonexistent. However, if it's Thomas the Train or Bob the Builder weekend..Watch out! Every infant, toddler, Mother, Father, Grandparent, and a few pets will be in the park.

No matter what your choice, you'll have a great time! (The adults will have a better time at Dollywood though. ;o)

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
47 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need help with itinerary! Dollywood or Tweetsie??

Oh...one more thing. If anyone in your party has problems walking up steep hills, Tweetsie may not be for you. This place was built way before handicap accessible was even heard of. They have attempted to bring everything up to Federal codes, but you just can't move mountains. ;o)

Strollers are a joke. You can bring them, but most of the time, they'll be parked in the "Stroller Parking Lot". Yes, it is a real place and yes, it feels up fast!

Hattiesburg...
Level Contributor
1,179 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need help with itinerary! Dollywood or Tweetsie??

Dollywood all the way!!!you will love it and so will they! Tons of lil kid rides and games...a huge interactive water playground to beat the heat....great shows....really good park food..nice country feel...nice people.

Asheboro, N.C.
Level Contributor
1,962 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need help with itinerary! Dollywood or Tweetsie??

Southpoint

You are so right about the hills at Tweetsie. They are not made for strollers that is for sure. And you know when you go up on the top part of the mountain you can not even take a stroller.

For the sake of convience well that is another plus for going to Dollywood.

Beech Grove, Indiana
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Need help with itinerary! Dollywood or Tweetsie??

Wow! Thanks for your replies--they have really helped! I've been to PF once before, but I didn't visit Dollywood, nor really pay much attention while passing by it. I guess I was just thinking that Dollywood was a little on the smallish side, but after reading your posts, I checked out the Dollywood website more thoroughly. I agree with your advice...the kids would enjoy Tweetsie, but there would be more for everyone to do at Dollywood. Thanks so much for your help. This is why I love reading the ratings and the forums at TA! :-)

Amy

8. Re: Need help with itinerary! Dollywood or Tweetsie??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 September 2009, 12:17