We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cabin safety

North GA
Level Contributor
476 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Cabin safety

I am a single Mom of 2. While I like the thought of a cabin, I admit it scares me a bit. I am thinking of those who rented before us who had access to a key and might have copied it. I know I seem paranoid but the guy who killed the hiker was within 3 miles of our home trying to use her ATM card. I know there is crime everywhere but I wonder if others share this concern. Thanks, Jen

NC
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Cabin safety

All the cabins I have stayed in have keyless entry with a punch code system that is changed for every renter. Make sure yours has that if you are afraid. Best wishes.

Lorain, Ohio
Level Contributor
852 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cabin safety

hey NorthGA,

we had a discussion about this very topic on here a few weeks ago and another poster brought up an idea of using these locks from qvc... they are suppose to keep a door secure, I heard someone say you would have to break the door off the hinges to get in with these on the door.. I know KETTERMIN has used them and I have purchased them myself for our upcoming trip and I believe smokiesgrl did too..

if you go to the qvc site and type in code#v18489 it will bring them up for you to look at..

I hope this helps!!!

Kendra

Hattiesburg...
Level Contributor
1,179 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cabin safety

Can't help you with locks...just another mom of 2 who has taken my girls alone three times in the last year....and loved it.we never felt scared,and we were in the boonies the first time.Take all saftey procautions,be aware ,and go for it.You'll be fine..and you'll love the cabin. Good luck!!

Sheila:)

Tn
Level Contributor
1,998 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cabin safety

Some cabins have 3 or more doors, make sure you know how many.

I think you are wise to think of this! I have a friend who lived in a house that had combination locks, it was very easy to make them open without the code. I have herd each one has a master code that always works (just like cars with combination locks)so anyone who has ever worked for the cleaning co, service co, rental co, etc would know that code. Remember any of them could come in when you are not there to looking for lap tops, cameras, etc.

North GA
Level Contributor
476 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cabin safety

Thanks for the ideas and encouragement. I am not at all worried about things being stolen but personal safety!

NC
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Cabin safety

FYI: If you can't buy the door jambs, a kitchen table chair back propped under the door knob works, too!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,734 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Cabin safety

Yep, I did buy the locks and I have used them in the past. They worked pretty well, but like RBG said, you have to make sure you have enough for all the doors in the cabin. They only worked on 2 of the 3 doors we had, but the 3rd door only went out to an elevated deck, so I wasn't worried. Below is the QVC number. They are sold in packs of 2, and I liked having them along. They will not work on sliding doors.

QVC# V18489

Bedford, Indiana
Level Contributor
5,783 posts
280 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cabin safety

A broom handle cut off to the correct length or close to it will lay in the bottom track of the non moving door and should secure any sliding door. If it is just a smidge too long, put it in at an angle with the lower end next to the bottom of the sliding door and the other end against the jamb of the non moving door.

Could be used in a cabin or hotel.

9. Re: Cabin safety

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 September 2009, 16:20