We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cabin vs. hotel

Which Pigeon Forge hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
North GA
Level Contributor
476 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
cabin vs. hotel

I have a room booked at Comfort Inn Apple Valley. I am now leaning a bit toward a cabin as I can stay at a hotel anywhere. Would anyone be willing to help a rookie think through this? The things I have thought of so far are:

Hotel: Cabin;

free breakfast more space

more "known" more unique

Thanks<jen

Cullowhee, North...
Level Contributor
1,077 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: cabin vs. hotel

I own a few cabins on the other side of the mountains, but I have a few questions.

If you are flexible with a budget consider a cabin stay. If your budget is limited. Then perhaps a hotel.

Hotels offer amenities cabins do not, like daily laundary. They are often close to the action and so forth.

Cabins can be close to the action but can offer more privacy. What you need to look at are your needs and what is of value to you. What do you value when you travel? For instance, many cabin folks have at least a king bed in one of the bedrooms, they may have finer linens or heavier towels. You need to compare both in similar price ranges too. You can get a hotel for $50 a night and you might find a cabin for that rate too, but would you want to stay in it?

if you look in the $140 to $180 a night price range for cabins you are likely to find flat screen TVs, hot tubs, pool tables and so forth. But if you do not value those things and they are not important to your stay, then a cabin is not the choice. Why pay for something you have no percieved value in?

Now if privacy, space, nicer amenities, a full kitchen, perhaps a nice view or creek side location are important and they are of value then you might want to consider a cabin for your stay.

Evaluate what is important to your traveling and then decide on the type of lodging would best suit your needs.

When I travel for long stays for a week or more I prefer a cabin or beach house for all that it offers me. For shorter stays I like hotels.

Ohio
Level Contributor
159 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: cabin vs. hotel

I would definitely recommend a cabin over a hotel room. You have much more room & privacy at a cabin and the hotel breakfasts are usually only so-so anyway. Plus you can get some awesome mountain views from a cabin not overlooking a hotel parking lot.

If you have children, they would love the game room that most cabins provide. The other nice thing about a cabin in the area is if you don't want to cook, there are so many resturants in the area to pick from!

A hotel is nice for one night, but if I am staying any longer, I prefer a cabin. Good luck in your search!

Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,459 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cabin vs. hotel

I prefer hotels but I am listing some threads that may help you decide which is right for you.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60842-i150-k16960…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60842-i150-k16813…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60842-i150-k17539…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60842-i150-k17751…

The most important thing if you rent a cabin is to find out about the fees that are charged and the cancellation policy.

Hattiesburg...
Level Contributor
1,179 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: cabin vs. hotel

Two thumbs way way up for a cabin...any cabin over a hotel any day!!! It's a whole house,with a view,hot tub,kitchen,porch,games,yard,privacy,etc.

versus: a room.

Bedford, Indiana
Level Contributor
5,710 posts
275 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: cabin vs. hotel

Sort of depends on what you want out of your vacation?

Do you want to do shows, etc. and eat out and come back to a room with the bed made up or do you want to spend quiet time away from the attractions, have more privacy, cook and take care of the beds, dishes, etc. yourself?

You have to decide for yourself. Good luck, and have fun whichever you decide.

Hattiesburg...
Level Contributor
1,179 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: cabin vs. hotel

We do both: stay at a cabin ,do all the town stuff,all the park stuff, eat out a lot and rarely ever cook at the cabin,so no dishes. you wont be sacrificing any show/toen stuff if you stay at a cabin.Depending on the cabin,you may even be right in town.

Alabama
Level Contributor
235 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: cabin vs. hotel

Well if you are gonna cook alot then maybe a cabin, Watch out for fees that can be attached. My kids like a Motel with a good pool. We don't spend alot of time in the room because we are out doing stuff , so the price of a cabin is too much to me.. It all depends on what you are looking for . If it's peace and quiet and away from it all then maybe a cabin is best. We live in the country, so when we go on vacation we like to be in the middle of it all.

Wilmington, NC
Level Contributor
345 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: cabin vs. hotel

To me the best part of the trip IS the cabin! Just make sure u book with a company that doesnt have alot of hidden fees. We saved by booking at the last minute and saved 50% a night! You have a hot tub, great beds, privacy, peace and quiet, pool tables, dart boards, and a kitchen to raid anytime day or night. Save money by buying cheaper foods at home and bringing them with u.Cabins are almost the same price as a cabin. Have fun!

Greenville, Ohio
Level Contributor
357 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: cabin vs. hotel

We have always stayed in a cabin and don't cook a meal there.....we do it frankly...for the space.... If we were going down for a quick trip (say for the weekend) then maybe a hotel but for a week-long trip I look forward to getting back to the cabin at night and feeling like we are not sitting on top of each other....granted it's not a pool but personaly, I like sitting in the hot tub out on the deck and enjoying the mountain air. If you do your homework you can find a good deal on a cabin....but then again you can drive yourself crazy looking at all the possibilities......lol....good luck and enjoy your trip regardless of where you stay!!

North GA
Level Contributor
476 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: cabin vs. hotel

Well....I am a single Mom of 2 via international adoption and in my 25th year of teaching...6th at an inner-city school. I am clinging to my remaining threads of sanity and you are right...I almost lost it looking at all the choices! This group helped so much in guiding me to the rentals without any additional fees. It was hard enough to narrow it down with just one company! What pushed me toward a cabin was some less than harmonious times this weekend with my tweenager ( yup, it starts as early as 9!) in our home and envisioning 5 days in the same room!