We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dollywood tips for small children? Late April.

Statesville, North...
Level Contributor
440 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Dollywood tips for small children? Late April.

We (my husband, myself, my parents-late fifties, our children- 2 girls 4 & 6, 1 boy 22mo) are going to Dollywood in late April. It's been nearly 20 years since I've been to Dollywood and I don't know what to expect. I would like some tips on how to make Dollywood fun for my children. Are there any characters, shows they would like, anything to avoid at certain times of the day, any must-do attractions, must-eat foods, etc.? Any other tips?

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Dollywood
Dollywood
13,945 Reviews
Pigeon Forge, TN
Cinn, OH
Level Contributor
1,567 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dollywood tips for small children? Late April.

Your kids will love Dollywood, I would bring a stroller so the little guy can take a nap. There are plenty of kiddy rides to choose from. Hopefully your weather will be nice, but go to a show if it is rainy or need to warm up/cool down. I tried to choose one during nap time so they would be lulled to sleep. Buy an insulated cup at Dollywood and get reduced price refills during your stay. If you go on the train trip, watch out for cinders from the smokestack-our son got one in his eye, and he was hurting till it was washed out by his tears. If they are having the afternoon parade, the kids would like that. There is also a large tree house for the kids to shoot foam balls at each other.

Mentioned in this post
Dollywood
Dollywood
13,945 Reviews
Pigeon Forge, TN
Tennessee
Level Contributor
56 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Dollywood tips for small children? Late April.

There is a large area of rides for the small ones, in the county fair area. Just remember that some of the ones you think the little would be able to ride with older sisters, you will have to ride with him. i think you have to be 16 to ride with the little ones. I had to ride with my youngest because my oldest son was 15. The age thing may be wrong but I know there is an age limit. You little ones will have a blast. Have Fun...

Tennessee
Level Contributor
56 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Dollywood tips for small children? Late April.

Sorry for typos, still early here.

Bedford, Indiana
Level Contributor
6,137 posts
308 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dollywood tips for small children? Late April.

Make sure to take them down to the mill area (to the right as you enter the park) and let them feed the fish and ducks/geese. They have food available from little gumball machines for I think a quarter a hand full. Have them look for squirrels running around in the park. Take them to the free magic show where you get off of the train, it is hilarious. Have them look for falling leafs in the Dolly Butterfly show near where the train unloads. The fair midway area may have some rides they will like, bumper cars, etc. Let them make the souvenir coins using the hand cranked machines with two quarters and a penny. Have fun!

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
749 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dollywood tips for small children? Late April.

1. Be sure to keep your map handy for bathroom locations.

2. There is a little kids splash area on the way to the slide winder. Kids always seem to be having a ball in there. (Don't know if it will be too cool in April or not...)

3. In the candle shop there is a thing for kids to "dip" their only candles. I remember I really enjoyed doing it and it is pretty inexpensive.

4. If you go after 3pm, you can get in the next day for free.

5. Check out www.dollywood.com Pretty good FAQ page.

6. Re: Dollywood tips for small children? Late April.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 September 2009, 09:20
Get answers to your questions about Pigeon Forge