We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Directions to get there from West Tenn? Construction?

Memphis, TN
Level Contributor
66 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Directions to get there from West Tenn? Construction?

Someone told me yesterday that I-40 was closed with construction past Knoxville where we would go through to get to Pigeon Forge.

Can anyone tell me the best route to get there?

Thanks so much!

Cookeville...
Level Contributor
160 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Directions to get there from West Tenn? Construction?

Hi!

We are leaving tomorrow and coming from the West. We always get off at the Lenoir City exit and go that way. It takes you through Lenoir City, Maryville, and Townsend. You turn on to Wears Valley Road and come out right in the middle of Pigeon Forge. We go to PF a lot and we always use this route even w/o construction. We feel like it takes about the same amount of time and it is more scenic. You don't have to fight as much traffic.

Tn
Level Contributor
1,998 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Directions to get there from West Tenn? Construction?

The detour is 640, it is very well marked and usually not backed up but I still prefer getting off Hwy 40 before Knoxsville.

Linden, New Jersey
Level Contributor
298 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Directions to get there from West Tenn? Construction?

Hi!

I went to Jackson the last week of May and went through the detour onto I-640 around Knoxville. It was not bad,the traffic moved at a good clip.

A few days later I came back on my way to Gatlinburg.That time I took the Lenoir City exit onto 321.Very scenic drive,and as I was going to Gatlinburg, I stayed on that route into the park and on into town.

On the return trip to Jackson, I went back on I-40. The I-640 bypass was all but empty being it was early in the morning.

And on my last trip through on my way back home, it was still moving at a good clip.

The detour is not a problem if you decide to go that way to get to Pigeon Forge. I had more of an issue going through Nashville ! What a pain. I later found that if I got off on 440 and went around Nashville, it was a lot easier.

Have a great trip and enjoy.

Tn
Level Contributor
1,998 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Directions to get there from West Tenn? Construction?

Nashville and Knoxsville can both be really bad if you hit it at the wrong time. For some reason Nashville has been having a exstreamly high amount of tractor trailer wrecks that close down Highways!

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
40,389 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Directions to get there from West Tenn? Construction?

Don't fret about I-40 being closed. It's no big deal to take the bypass, and the I-40 closing will only affect you if you happen to need to get to downtown Knoxville.

You can still take the I-640 around town easily if you plan to go up to exit #407 to get to P.F.

You can also take that Lenoir City route mentioned above if you want a more scenic drive.

6. Re: Directions to get there from West Tenn? Construction?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2009, 17:19