We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

For the bear experts of the area

toledo, ohio
Level Contributor
275 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
For the bear experts of the area

OK, So we have been coming to the Smokies anually for I don't know how many years. We love it so much, every year we do different things. We have yet to run out of new stuff to see and do. Here is my gripe: Never ever have we seen a bear. It is always our goal, and each time we say "this is the year." My brother and his family, on the other hand, went for the first time last year and saw a mama bear and her 3 cubs (they captured it on video.) We were happy for them but I must admit very jealous. They managed to do in their first try what we couldn't accomplish in probably 12 years!!!!

So, here is my question to you bear-sighting experts in the area: Where do you think our best chance of seeing a bear would be? We always have our fingers crossed in Cades Cove, but do you thing Roaring Fork Motor Trail would be better? Also, we usually head for the mountains first thing in the morning, before the traffic becomes too heavy. Do you think the evening might be a better time? Sorry to babble....but we really want some bragging rights this year!

Cinn, OH
Level Contributor
1,519 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: For the bear experts of the area

We have more bear sightings on and around Roaring Fork trail than Cades Cove. We go early in the morning and right before dusk. Hope you get a bear sighting next time.

Grove City, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: For the bear experts of the area

We have had more bear sightings at Cades Cove in the evening. Of course, we have never been there extremely early in the day. Good luck in your search for the elusive black bear.

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
41,664 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: For the bear experts of the area

You may want to try the evening hours for a change.

We were just in Cades Cove on July 25th and saw 3 bears in just a short time in the late afternoon and evening.

Powhatan, Virginia
Level Contributor
421 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: For the bear experts of the area

Have to agree that dusk is about best time. Now we saw bear at our cabin back in June...was about 8:30pm. Time of the year important too. If in autumn, they go wherever food is to prepare for hibernation. Good luck to you this year!

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,524 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: For the bear experts of the area

From what I've read and experienced the Roaring Fork/Greenbrier (west) area is the most active. Yes, the dusk hours are usually best, though you'll fair better in the morning hours as well. And don't forget to look in the trees!

Tn
Level Contributor
1,998 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: For the bear experts of the area

Last year was the first time I saw them! I know how you feel! I saw them right before the Roaring Fork Motor Trail in the afternoon in Oct.

7. Re: For the bear experts of the area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2009, 15:30