We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dollywood--closed on Thursdays! What are they thinking?

Which Pigeon Forge hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Statesville, North...
Level Contributor
440 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Dollywood--closed on Thursdays! What are they thinking?

Is it just me or is it completely ridiculous that Dollywood is closed on Thursdays? We were planning to leave on Wed. 9/3 and spend Thursday and Friday at the park. Now, instead of working 1/2 day on Wednesday, we will have to leave either Tuesday night or EARLY Wednesday morning to spend a little time at the park on Wednesday. Do they realize how much business they are losing by doing that? Why not close on Tuesdays, Wednesdays or even Mondays? Lucky for us, we have enough vacation time to change our plans, but, I still think it's bad business to be closed on Thursdays. CRAZY!! I know lots of people who like to leave for vacation on Wednesday evenings for a long weekend away. When we went in April, they were open on Thursday. Why are they closing on Thursdays now? Especially going into the Fall, when so many people take long weekends to enjoy the leaves! UUGGHH! Sorry, everybody, I just had to vent! Love ya, Dolly, but you MIGHT want to rethink this Closed Thursdays thing!

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,524 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dollywood--closed on Thursdays! What are they thinking?

I think that Dollywood is a large enough organization to know what they're doing. I understand your frustration, though; I'd be frustrated, too!

Tn
Level Contributor
1,998 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dollywood--closed on Thursdays! What are they thinking?

do you mean they are open on other week days but not Thur.? That is strange. You would think it would be a diffarent day. Maybe they were getting less people on Thur, than any other days. I have not herd of this before, them being closed on Thur.

Bedford, Indiana
Level Contributor
5,710 posts
275 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dollywood--closed on Thursdays! What are they thinking?

I believe during the fall, winter and early spring, Dollywood has reduced hours and days, due to the reduced number of people coming to the area to visit. It is all related to numbers, if enough people were calling or showing up for entrance during those times, DW would probably have more open days and longer times then also.

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
38,713 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dollywood--closed on Thursdays! What are they thinking?

It's because you are going in September after Labor Day weekend....a month with traditionally low visitation during the week (the only real draw to the area that time of year is the rod runs on the weekends). September is before the fall color time, and after the summer rush, so not many visitors go to the area during the week.

April is spring break month, and they will have lots of visitation during that time during the weekdays, especially since schools get off different weeks for it now. So, that's why they are open 7 days a week then.

You'll also notice the extremly reduced hours on the other weekdays as well.

Why don't you simply rearrangd your days so that you can go to Dollywood on Mon, Tues, or Wed?

Cinn, OH
Level Contributor
1,432 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dollywood--closed on Thursdays! What are they thinking?

Dollywood has closed on Thursday during the fall for as long as I can remember. In the spring it is closed on Tuesday, and in Nov and part of Dec for the Christmas season, it is closed on Mon and Tue. I am sure they did a study to determine when to close.

Seymour, Tennessee
Level Contributor
300 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dollywood--closed on Thursdays! What are they thinking?

Dollywood has been closed on Thursdays as long as I can remember.One thing I'm sure they do during that time period is probably do maintainance checks security checks and cleaning of the property and rides, probably things they can't do when the park is open. Just remember....Better to be safe than Sorry.

Greenwood, Indiana
Level Contributor
251 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Dollywood--closed on Thursdays! What are they thinking?

just look at their schedule and plan accordingly

…aristotle.net/General/DW/DW_OpCalendar_2008…

8. Re: Dollywood--closed on Thursdays! What are they thinking?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 October 2009, 20:18
Get answers to your questions about Pigeon Forge