We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

southern cooking

Indianapolis, IN
Level Contributor
121 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
southern cooking

I'm looking for a couple of really good southern cooking restaurants. A lot of people have mentioned Applewood Farms, but when I went on the website, it looks a lot like Cracker Barrel to me, (which is good, but I can eat there anytime.)

I'm more interested in locally owned, (non-chain) restaurants, and foods that aren't always available up north (fried green tomatoes,cheese grits, sweet tea, etc...)

Any suggestions?

Tennessee
Level Contributor
758 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: southern cooking

I remember eating at one in Townsend. Although its been several years ago and I've done forgot the name to it I do remember where it was at. Take hwy. 321 out of Pigeon forge to Townsend, at red light in Townsend turn left going towards GSMNP,after a few blocks it will be on the right side. (theres a motel beside it called something like Ho-Ho-Jo's or Holley-Ho's or something like that) In Pigeon Forge theres a lot of Pancake "type" houses/restaurants.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
1,698 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: southern cooking

Hi tajgood,

The restaurant that TennesseeJustme mentioned is the Carriage House Restaurant. discovertownsend.com/_dine/tdcarhou.htm I haven't eaten there yet, but the folks at the Visitor's Center recommended it to me last October. Also in Townsend is the Back Porch Restaurant on the right as you come in to town from Maryville. I enjoyed the steak dinner there.

In Pigeon Forge, I always go to The Old Mill Restaurant. www.old-mill.com Some would call it Cracker Barrel-ish, but I think that The Mill is much better.

Bob

Oneonta, Alabama
Level Contributor
942 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: southern cooking

The Mountain Lodge Restaurant in Gatlinburg (Hwy321E going toward the Arts & Crafts Community) is just a small privately owned restaurant which specializes in breakfast and lunch. I think they close at 2:00 PM everyday. Great vegetable soup and they have vegetable plates. I haven't specifically noticed friend green tomatoes on the menu during summer, but I think it's the type of restaurant you are looking for. There's not much atmosphere, but the food is good.

We've seen fried green tomatoes (and frog legs) on the menu at Frog Creek Grill. It's located off Pittman Center Road.

Lisa

Delaware
Destination Expert
for Rehoboth Beach
Level Contributor
2,141 posts
1,270 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: southern cooking

The Old Mill in Pigeon Forge would be my choice for Southern Style food. They serve up things like meatloaf,ham, pot roast, liver and onions, catfish, fried chicken, chicken pot pie, turkey and gravy, pork chops, etc. The portions are huge and the food is like home style cooking. You get corn chowder, fritters, green beans, and mashed potatoes with your meal. It really is my favorite down home cooking place to eat in the area. I usually get the Turkey and Gravy & have half of it left for the next day.

Also, the breakfast is great. Each breakfast comes with muffins, orange juice, grits, gravy and biscuits...in addition to whatever your order!! So, you can get your grits here..just not sure if they have cheese grits. I usually opt for the eggs and bacon & all the complimentary side items.

Plus the view is pretty nice, especially if you get a table seated along the windows that face the Old Pigeon River. When Im done eating, I like to go down along side the river and watch & feed the ducks that hang out there.

Delaware
Destination Expert
for Rehoboth Beach
Level Contributor
2,141 posts
1,270 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: southern cooking

Also..about them Fried Green Tomatoes...

Calhoun's and Bennett's Pit BBQ have Fried Green Tomatoes on their menus. Calhouns menu says something about them being seasonal. I personally haven't had the fried green tomatoes at either place. I have never been to Bennett's, but I have been to Calhoun's & their food was pretty good. I have had their ribs and their chicken & I would eat there again. Plus their specialty Lemonade was great!!

Calhoun's is small chain in Tennessee, and it looks like Bennett's has 2 locations..just in case you were wondering.

Hope this helps.

Canada, Kentucky
Level Contributor
778 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: southern cooking

I don't know if it still open but there is the Log Cabin restaurant in Pigeon Forge. It is on the LEFT at the very last red light before you start driving toward Gatlinburg. They always had a very good buffet for supper. True home-cooked southern food. Personally owned.....like I say, I don't know if it is still open due to the economy.....does anyone out there know?

Bedford, Indiana
Level Contributor
5,823 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: southern cooking

The Blue Moose and Calhoun's both have fried dill pickles on their menus. We prefer the ones at Blue Moose (they have great hot wings, about nine different types), but the pickles at both places are very good. Both restaurants are within about two blocks of each other.

watseka illinois
Level Contributor
133 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: southern cooking

i would say the old mill and huckfinns catfish both are very good

Seymour, Tennessee
Level Contributor
300 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: southern cooking

The mountain lodge restaurant, I do agree has some great food, yes, fried green tomatoes are seasonal. There used to be a restaurant out in the crafts community called Ma's Kitchen, they do nothing but country cooking.There is also Carver's restaurant towards Cosby next to their apple orchard, I have heard some great things about them. If you all else fails come to my house, I'll fix you the biggest plate of green tomatoes, soup beans, fried taters and corn bread you have ever seen!(lol)

Indianapolis, IN
Level Contributor
121 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: southern cooking

Wow, sounds like lots of choices! Thanks everyone for all your suggestions. I'll give a report when I get back.

Get answers to your questions about Pigeon Forge