We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I-40 Construction

Southerner
Level Contributor
31 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
I-40 Construction

I'm sure this has been discussed several times but is the construction on I40 in Knoxville near completion? We will be traveling 40 East to GSMNP next month. We always enjoyed going through Knoxville and getting on the parkway in Sevierville but the past couple of years have gone through Townsend (which we also love by the way). Could someone tell me how traffic is, detours, best directions, etc.? Any info would be greatly appreciated. We plan to be driving through after morning rush hour. Thanks in advance for any replies.

Columbia, South...
Level Contributor
1,143 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I-40 Construction

The construction is SUPPOSED to be finished on June 12. We'll see!

The detour sends drivers onto I-640. It is crowded during the afternoon rush hour but otherwise fine. It should not add any noticeable delay to your travels as opposed to going straight through on I-40. There's no need to make any alternate plans... just follow the signs and you'll be fine.

Southerner
Level Contributor
31 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I-40 Construction

Thank you so much. That definitely eases my mind.

Louisiana
Level Contributor
131 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I-40 Construction

Any new info on this construction?

Chattanooga...
Level Contributor
864 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I-40 Construction

Drove right thru Knoxville on I40 both directions on the 17th and 18th. Looks like it's all done.

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
40,420 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I-40 Construction

They reopened the I-40 through town right on schedule on June 12th, so no more worries about detours.

6. Re: I-40 Construction

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 December 2009, 06:18
Get answers to your questions about Pigeon Forge