We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

When does the summer season (and crowds) start?

Delaware...
Level Contributor
4 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
When does the summer season (and crowds) start?

We are planning a quick family trip (4 days) to Pigeon Forge starting June 10. Are the crowds still manageable at that time? I wasn't sure when the "summer rush" started for the area. Our tentative plans include Dollywood, Splash Country, mini golf & a day in the Smokies. Thanks for any help!

Mentioned in this post
Pigeon Forge
Pigeon Forge
Sevier County, TN
Dollywood
Dollywood
13,941 Reviews
Pigeon Forge, TN
Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,556 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: When does the summer season (and crowds) start?

I would say Memorial Day weekend. Most schools in Tennessee are out by then.

Mentioned in this post
Tennessee
Tennessee
United States
Savannah, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg, Maggie Valley, Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
3,766 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: When does the summer season (and crowds) start?

Yep, most school start closing for summer break around Memorial Day. That's when the crowds startin coming in. I'll be among them. :)

Knoxville, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: When does the summer season (and crowds) start?

It's been getting pretty crowded on the weekends for while now but as has already been said here in another couple weeks it will be pretty crowded througout the week as well.

Delaware...
Level Contributor
4 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: When does the summer season (and crowds) start?

Thanks for the info! I noticed that hotel rates seemed to jump starting June 12 so I figured it was probably getting pretty busy by then at least. My kids aren't done w/school until June 10 ~ I keep forgetting that many kids get out earlier than that!

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
42,627 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: When does the summer season (and crowds) start?

I agree that next weekend will begin the rush (Memorial Day). Some schools are graduating today and tomorrow here in the Chattanooga area, and most schools will be out altogether by next weekend.

Mentioned in this post
Chattanooga
Chattanooga
Tennessee
Florida
Level Contributor
754 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: When does the summer season (and crowds) start?

We have been to PF many times but never in the summer. What are the crowds like the second week of August?

taylorsmommi
Level Contributor
663 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: When does the summer season (and crowds) start?

it is still crowded at that time and HOT. (August)

Sept it slows a little and Oct... Forget it... SO crowded, because it is so beautiful there at that time of year!!! :)

Oneonta, Alabama
Level Contributor
942 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: When does the summer season (and crowds) start?

Our family has been to Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg the week following Memorial Day for the past several years and it's not been crowded at all. Every year the weather has been nice (not too hot and humid). Also, it's been my experience as a cabin owner that the first week of June is relatively slow and sometimes doesn't book. I guess lots of people are just getting the summer started and don't plan trips that quickly. The last 2 weeks of June through about August 15th tend to be the busiest as far as inquiries and bookings.

Lisa

Mentioned in this post
Pigeon Forge
Pigeon Forge
Sevier County, TN
Gatlinburg
Gatlinburg
Sevier County, TN
taylorsmommi
Level Contributor
663 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: When does the summer season (and crowds) start?

I also own a cabin there, but do not rent it out... I am there every year at the end of May until the 2nd week in June and it is Mobbed! But What I read on here a lot is that The local Tenn. kids get out earlier... as does my daughter because she goes to Catholic school.. she is out a week prior to the public... SO maybe the rentals are not up just then and it is still crowded because a lot of locals are in town ESP on weekends wow.... :)

10. Re: When does the summer season (and crowds) start?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 November 2009, 06:20
Get answers to your questions about Pigeon Forge