We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quickest Route??

Louisiana
Level Contributor
131 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Quickest Route??

We are coming from Louisiana and coming thru Chattonooga. Is it quicker to come thru Knoxville or get off at Merryville?

Mentioned in this post
Knoxville
Knoxville
Tennessee
Murfreesboro, TN
Level Contributor
171 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Quickest Route??

I've clocked both ways and they are within about 5 minutes of each other, but you're less likely to run into traffic going through Maryville plus it's a pretty drive.

Knoxville, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Quickest Route??

Depending on which day of the week you are coming in it may be far better to come through Maryville.

On Friday afternoons the traffic into P.F. from Knoxville is terrible. Also I-40 through Knoxville has been closed for around a year for rework which causes you to take the 640 north bypass and that adds a few short minutes. The last I heard that was due to reopen in late June.

Given normal traffic the previous poster is right. There is less than 5 minutes difference either way.

Mentioned in this post
Knoxville
Knoxville
Tennessee
Louisiana
Level Contributor
131 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Quickest Route??

We are coming in on June 27 which is a Saturday probably at about 6:00 in the evening.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
1,530 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Quickest Route??

We travel along the same route laracegirl, and we always take the way through Maryville.

It's always nice to get off of the interstate at that point. The pace slows a little, but it's still a shorter way than I-40 through Knoxville, plus you won't be sitting in traffic through Sevierville, and I mean SITTING.

You'll make a left once you get into Townsend onto Wears Valley Road, and that will take you straight into Pigeon Forge.

Have a great time!

Mentioned in this post
Knoxville
Knoxville
Tennessee
Sevierville
Sevierville
Sevier County, TN
Townsend
Townsend
Tennessee
Pigeon Forge
Pigeon Forge
Sevier County, TN
Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
42,418 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Quickest Route??

I always come through Lenoir City/Maryville/Townsend/Wears VAlley.

I hate the traffic on the parkway coming in from I-40 in Kodak, so unless I know for sure I'm not going to have any traffic jams, I use Hwy 321.

Mentioned in this post
Townsend
Townsend
Tennessee
Knoxville, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Quickest Route??

You'll find that if you'll take I-140 also called the Alcoa Highway into Maryville and then highway 411 on into Sevierville to be fastest and least traveled.

Mentioned in this post
Sevierville
Sevierville
Sevier County, TN
Louisiana
Level Contributor
581 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Quickest Route??

Your so right, Gottagocit! Depending on the day and time, we sometimes go to Exit 187 (I think), right downtown, and go all the way to Sevierville on Chapman HWY through Seymour. There is very little traffic, and all kinds of interesting little places in Sevier County. I have never tried your route, but plan to do so.

Thanks,

Carol

Mentioned in this post
Sevierville
Sevierville
Sevier County, TN
Louisiana
Level Contributor
581 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Quickest Route??

Sorry--You're so right!! Not thinking.

Carol

Tombstone, Arizona
Level Contributor
910 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Quickest Route??

laracegirl: When we drive up there through Chatt., we exit I75 onto 140 and exit 140 at 129 (Alcoa Hwy) and head north (make a left).

Once on 129 North, we exit at Gov. Sevier Hwy 168 and travel on that one until it crosses the Chapman Hwy. (441). Turn right on 441 and this will take you through Newell Station and on to Sevierville.

Arriving up there around 6PM will give you a pretty good amount of daylight and a lot less traffic as you would find if you drove along I-40.

Also this route excludes Maryville, as I always find Maryville to be a little to traffic busy for this driver.

You had best study a map before you get there, as it can be confusing with all the road signs and multiple hwy numbers, and the lack of a sigh when you seem the most confused as to whether you are proceeding correctly.

Good luck on your choice.

Mentioned in this post
Sevierville
Sevierville
Sevier County, TN
10. Re: Quickest Route??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 November 2009, 05:31