We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

vrbo

PA
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Topic
vrbo

Hello,

I am planning a summer 2010 trip to TN with extended family. After searching TA for lodging ideas, I think the VRBO website has some great deals. Am I missing something, are the rentals hiding any fees? These prices I see are better than a hotel room when you split the cost with other family members. I also looked on "Dolly's" website and Sunset Cottages. If you have an info. please let me know.

Thanks

Linda

right over your...
Level Contributor
962 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: vrbo

Some people have been very happy with VRBO's rentals, some people have had real bad rentals there.

The cabin rentals are cheaper there because they are not paying a fee to a rental company.

If you find a cabin you are thinking about renting on there start a thread here asking if anyone has stayed in that cabin or with that owner.

There is a rental insurance thing there but it does not help if you get to the cabin and something is wrong as with a rental company they would put you in another cabin. And the owner is usually in another state so you can not just get done what needs to get done right then and there. They usually use local people to clean and fix things, there have been many complaints about communication between all 3 parties involved and if something is broke or gets broke who did it etc.

There are some times hidden charges. Ask them to fax or send you a copy of the contract before agreeing to to anything.

Sunset cottages I think have been mentioned on here. Do a search here in the forum.

There is a list of questions you should ask the owner or rental company. It use to be the first thread on here if not someone will let us know where it is now.

Saint John, Indiana
Level Contributor
442 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: vrbo

I have used vrbo for a stay in Florida and I agree that you can get a great deal there. However, I had a problem getting my security deposit returned in a timely manner so I now try to stick with properties that have a management company.'

Having said that, I wouldn't blame you if you still tried to find a good deal on vrbo. I would say that you should try to contact the owner many times via phone and email and see how fast they respond to you. Read the reviews on their ad. Good homes will have reviews posted. The thing with vrbo is that the owner has to approve the comments before they get posted. They aren't going to post bad reviews so if they have NO reviews, I'm thinking they haven't gotten any good ones to post either.

You might also remember that a management company can pass along an offer to an owner. Lets say you are willing to pay in full 6 mos or a year in advance. An owner might be willing to give you a better deal for this. I've done it and saved money. It can't hurt to ask and most management companies won't be offended.

Good luck!

Tennessee
Level Contributor
758 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: vrbo

I have stayed with both (vrbo & Sunset Cottages) With vrbo I have only stayed in PCB FLA. I was very pleased with the condo. Was just as described and exactly as pictured. Had no hidden fees (or any damage deposit) and the price quoted included all taxes! (cost us $200. a night) Which I thought was great! I was a little worried about the owner living in Indiana but I was told if anything was broke the maintance man of the building would take care of it and also he had no reviews posted.

We have only stayed with Sunset Cottages & Fireside Chalets in Pigeon Forge area. We have been pleased with both companies. I'm thinking Sunset has a damage deposit (or some type of deposit) and it was refunded back to our card the day we checked out. Although web site says it will be refunded within 14 days of departure. HTH!

Lexington, Kentucky
Level Contributor
695 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: vrbo

We have a reservation through vrbo for October of this year. I found a condo for 6 people at the Riverstone Resort for $1000, including all fees. There was no deposit. The couple we are renting from is an older couple who live in the Chattanooga area, and they own 3 condos there. She gave me a good deal, and I have a contract and everything. She has a local contractor as her maintenance man, and we also her home and cell numbers if we need anything while we are there. I am happy so far, but we'll see when we get there. (Anything has to be better than a cramped hotel room though!)

Karen

Ohio
Level Contributor
159 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: vrbo

I am staying at a VRBO cabin for the first time on Douglas Lake this August and have been more than pleased with the homeowner and his attention to detail. I am always full of questions and he has gone out of his way to answer every one of them. He has sent me maps and suggestions to everything in the area including grocery stores, marinas and even his favorite restaurant in the area. He has also called me on the phone twice and it was nice to get a little "inside scoop" on the cabin we are renting before we arrive. I haved stayed with a management company before and though we did not have any problems, it just wasn't as personal. I will leave a review when we get back-counting the days!

Saint John, Indiana
Level Contributor
442 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: vrbo

See, thats what I was talking about. Annie has a good deal from a VRBO but she has also established good communication with the owner so she can feel secure knowing who to call and that they'll be there for her should she need them.

That makes all the difference to me.

Lexington, Kentucky
Level Contributor
695 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: vrbo

I agree with the personal connection part. I had a ton of questions about our unit, even before we reserved. I bet I sent at least 10 emails. She answered every single one within hours of me sending it. Finally she called me because she wanted to make sure I was completely happy. She said anytime I needed her, I could contact, and she could give us info about anything we needed. I am very happy, and we are very excited about our trip.

Karen

Florida
Level Contributor
795 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: vrbo

I have rented from VRBO several times and never had any problems. I usually email several properties that i'm interested in and go with the one i feel is the best deal. But it also depends on the response i get from the owners.

SC
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: vrbo

I have used VRBO's for the past 3 years in Florida. I will also be going to PF in 2 weeks using VRBO. So far all my VRBO experiences have been very good and I would highly recommend using it. All the owners I have dealt with have been very friendly and helpful and don't mind answering any questions you might have. I can't imagine ever staying in a hotel again!

Ky.
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: vrbo

Please be very careful when using VRBO. I'm not saying they are bad but our experience was a nightmare. I did research & followed all advice, contacted the owner (thank goodness I kept the e-mails), signed up for trip insurance (which is useless) the house was not as listed. The evening before leaving the owner contacted us & informed us there was a mix up in the reservations & we would not be able to check in at noon as promised the home was occupied until 10 that evening. We were traveling by car from KY to Florida with 6 children. He offered us a spare home until we could enter the one reserved. Put in a huge spot & trusting him we agreed. That was the wrong decision. The spare was a dump. It was 45 minutes from our chosen home, in the middle of now where, sparse furniture, musty smell, overgrown yard, green pool & a broken down boat in the front yard. The kids ran from the home, even after being in the vehicles for 15 plus hours. They had rode all that time for the beach not this! He was very rude when we contacted him & refused any type of refund. We ended up spending $378.00 for hotel rooms for the night & entered the home the next day. There were several items listed in the add that were not in working order in the home including the downstairs central air. With the heat index that week it was in the triple digits. We also found the house manager was living with us! This made us very uncomfortable since we had no adult male with us. The add list the deposit & cleaning fee were refundable, to this date we have recieved nothing. We contacted Home-Away, BBB of Florida & the owner. What was to be a FIRST time trip to Florida for my Mother was ruined by a dishonest man who walked away with our money & Home-Away has done nothing to help. So please be careful with your rental.

Get answers to your questions about Pigeon Forge